Spinning soy silk anyone ?

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I got this great deal on 28 oz of soy silk roving. I was expecting what I know roving to look like, not perfectly aligned strands , that would make an amazing wig. So, I pluck out a bit and get my wheel ready. This is absolutely the most unruly , flyaway, breaking-est (thats a word, i swear!) *&%$# I have ever gotten my hands on! I have spun my fair share of challenging fiber and for the most part , I enjoy the challenge of them. This.. well it just made me mad. I have to be doing something wrong. Surely it cant be this hard to work with ? My plan was a 3 ply sport weight to later be crocheted into a shoulder wrap. Misting it helped a good bit, backing off the tension helped some, but I just cant seem to get the correct combination to the soy silk lock. 12 tpi was not enough and 24 tpi was too much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wits end with this *$@#!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It was too hot to have my full cup of coffee this morning (or perhaps it was a hot flash) cus when I read the title, I was wondering how in the heck you would spin soy milk.

:hide

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL an hour ago I might have said spinning soy milk would be easier, but I think I have this sorted now. More tension, more twists , more water and after about of ounce of getting the feel for it, its starting to shape up. The cussing jar got upgraded from a quart to a half gallon today because of this stuff. So, its now less of a 'deal' :tongue

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I can't help but I have knit with a commercial soy silk blend. Nice stuff!