Sprained Ankle While Sleeping?

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday morning I woke up with an achey ankle. It had gotten progressively worse during the day, and was swollen up around the lower end of the fibula bone. This morning the swelling is down some, and I wrapped it with an elastic bandage for stability. Has anyone ever gotten a sprain in their sleep or without knowing it happened?

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My ankle is much better this morning. So glad. Yesterday I had my ankle wrapped and used a cane, carefully maneuvering with every step. Still watered plants yesterday evening. I have so much to do, so very happy that it's a short term injury.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Low magnesium levels can cause leg cramps. So can certain insulins apparently. I can't remember what type Mom was on, but she had horrible leg cramps for years. She was put on a different type to try and the leg cramps went away. She reported that to her doctor and was told it would be reported as a side effect to the maker.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Yesterday morning I woke up with an achey ankle. It had gotten progressively worse during the day, and was swollen up around the lower end of the fibula bone. This morning the swelling is down some, and I wrapped it with an elastic bandage for stability. Has anyone ever gotten a sprain in their sleep or without knowing it happened?
Have you met my wife?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, in particular her ankles and shoulders. About every 6 months or so

memory foam mattress pad, about three inches thick. has saved me from so much pain and poor sleep. it's hot sleeping on it at times in the summer, but i'd rather be a bit warm and wake up without too many aches than otherwise.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wonder if it's gout, but it's not red or hot and it feels like an injury. I have a friend who has had gout before, so I'll talk to her.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
People with joint hypermobility are famous for getting "sports injuries" while sleeping. I subluxate joints in my sleep semi-regularly. DH subluxated, sprained or tore a ligament in his sternoclavicular joint while repositioning in bed this week. Its an uncommon injury associated wih pile - ups in football. :gig