Sprouted Wheat Berry Flour, Grain Mills, and Bread

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I ordered hard red wheat berries for attempting sprouted wheat flour bread! I have always though it was too hard or to expensive. But now I'm ready to take more steps toward not being reliant on grocery stores. If sprouting and grinding wheat berries is successful, I plan to plant winter wheat next fall.

I havent bought a grain mill yet. I am debating between hand crank (exercise, no electicity, lower cost) and Kitchenaid stand mixer attachment. What would you pick and why?

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Did you try a bite of the crust? Since it was at least cooked, I would have had to try a bite of it. LOL You keep playing with it and you will figure it out.
I did! I liked the flavor a lot. DH was looking at me weird, he said we have bran flake cereal that's probably the same as peeling off flakes of crust. :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have never maxed out my garden space in a year. I can probably dedicate 30x90 to growing grain. That wouldn't be enough for my family for a year, but if it goes well we can add more somewhere else. I am thankful to not be limited by space. I'm limited by time and energy.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I saw sprouted wheat flour at a bulk food store yesterday. $2.97/pound. 😲 That sticker shock is keeping me going right now.

I'm trying the coarse ground flour in a simple bread loaf. It is less-bad than my last experiment (so far). Beginning of second rise:
20211023_215231.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
there's no way we can ever grow enough grain for our own flour and i sure wouldn't be able to hand crank it for milling either.

i would get a mill that can be manually turned or be used with a motor, that way you have options if you get too tired out or the power goes out. :) for a manual version i'd eventually want to figure out how to hook up a bike to pedal the mill instead of cranking by hand because the leg muscles are so much bigger and you can go a lot longer.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a Family Grain Mill. It comes with a hand crank and I ordered the electric motor. MUCH easier, but I have the hand crank in case of SHTF. I think I would have much greater problems in a SHTF situation than hand grinding wheat.

Sprouted wheat berry flour or spelt, can be made easier. I read an article on it once. This thread reminded me. Sprout the wheat. Instead of drying or dehydrating, then grinding, take the wet sprouted wheat and run it through a blender, maybe with the liquid you use for the recipe for the bread. Then add the ingredients as usual.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sprouted wheat berry flour or spelt, can be made easier. I read an article on it once. This thread reminded me. Sprout the wheat. Instead of drying or dehydrating, then grinding, take the wet sprouted wheat and run it through a blender, maybe with the liquid you use for the recipe for the bread. Then add the ingredients as usual.
I was wondering if putting sprouted wheat in a blender would work! I wasnt excited about the prospect of dehydrating after sprouting. I will try that first. If it works well I will get a hand crank grain mill for in case of power outages/SHTF

Latest posts