SS and healthy eating: Why avoid powdered milk?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, no fights allowed on this thread....just informational, something to think about. I went to a lecture on digestive troubles about 3 years ago, one of many in my search for help with increasing food allergies and non-stop and severe digestive trouble that was leading me towards becoming mostly home-bound. Several doctors, no help.

This doc who gave the lecture was a naturopath (been there, done that, hoping for a different perspective) and she introduced me to the concept of real milk and real food. Well, not really introduced, just gave me a bigger shove in that direction.

It did take me all that time to get to where I am now, sitting here drinking hot chocolate made from raw milk that I just milked from my goat. And I won't be crippled by the abdominal pain and stuck in the bathroom for a day or so. I will be just fine and dandy, thank-you-very-much.

It was all the powdered milk in the yogurt recipes that got me to start this thread. You do not need to add powdered milk to your yogurt. Start it with Greek yogurt and it will be nice and thick. Leave it an extra hour or two, that might help, too. And it will continue to thicken in the fridge.

Here is a quote from www.realmilk.com : "Powdered skim milk is added to the most popular varieties of commercial milk one-percent and two-percent milk. Commercial dehydration methods oxidize cholesterol in powdered milk, rendering it harmful to the arteries. High temperature drying also creates large quantities of nitrate compounds, which are potent carcinogens."

Children in 2nd grade are showing up with markers of heart disease in alarming numbers. There is a move (big pharma, again) to get young children onto cholesterol lowering drugs. Where is the move towards educating parents as to all the things that harm the kids in the first place?

Since being ss involves being healthy, I thought I'd share some of what I've learned.

So don't feel criticized. I, too, gobbled down white flour and white sugar and soda and all that stuff for decades, until severe health issues forced me (well, not really, I coulda gone with meds) to take control and get educated. It is a journey, not a destination.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I try to avoid powdered milk. I had no idea it was put into liquid milk! I only buy organic milk, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it too.

Where do you get Greek yogurt? Is it a particular strain of yogurt culturing microbes? I usually just use my yogurt thin, or add extra starter to make it thicker.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I don't add powdered milk to my yogurt, but I though I was just being cheap.
Good to know I'm unwittingly smart, too! :cool:

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I can't bring myself to use powdered milk. When I was young, we were very poor, my mother used to cut milk with powdered milk (one half PM mixed up, one half milk).
vomit-smiley.gif
. I'm a milk lover, unadulterated is the only way, unfortunately there are few raw milk sources near me.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Reinbeau--As moderator, could you get us that vomit thingy on this forum, please, please? Then, when the political debates get really heated, we could use that as a response to someone's comments!! :D

Okay--I'll be good now :)

I use powdered milk. I'm going to research it a bit more now before dumping it in for thickening my yogurt. Plus, the stuff is expensive and we get the real milk free.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I buy the Greek yogurt in my regular grocery store, Stop 'n' Shop. It is the only yogurt they sell in individual sizes that comes in plain unflavored, so it makes a great starter. I don't measure it, I just plop a big spoonful into the jar that I am making the yogurt in. I can fit three quart canning jars and one pint peanut butter jar in my cooler.

I was fed dried milk as a kid on occasion, too, and that stuff is just nasty. I feel that the health risks outweigh the perceived benefits, so storing it is not an option here. Better to keep a goat or two for ss stocking up. They can turn lots of stuff that we can't eat into milk and meat, just like the chickens can turn stuff we can't eat into eggs and meat.

If things got so bad that we needed to eat ONLY from our stored foods, we would likely be greatful to be eating, and not get too whiney about not having milk in our oatmeal. OK, maybe we would whine, but we would be healthy while doing it!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm always complaining that no one sells individual sized plain yogurt around here. I will have to scout out a few other stores and see if I can find it.

Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Reinbeau--As moderator, could you get us that vomit thingy on this forum, please, please? Then, when the political debates get really heated, we could use that as a response to someone's comments!! :D

Okay--I'll be good now :)

I use powdered milk. I'm going to research it a bit more now before dumping it in for thickening my yogurt. Plus, the stuff is expensive and we get the real milk free.
I like vomit thingy's

Reaction score
I used to work with a guy that was always lecturing us younger guys about using powdered creamer in our coffee. Is this related? He said it was horrible for your arteries. Being young at the time we of course thought he was wacky. Is powdered creamer like Coffee Mate bad for you or me for that matter?

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I think (but can't say for sure) that powdered "creamers" are not even close to being cream.