Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Spent the weekend on a road trip with my eldest to visit a long-time friend I originally met on BYC and followed here. Earlier in the year I scored a case of canning lids that we took to her. Just in the nick of time, mind you. Lolol.

Got to play around in the garden, picked okra to bring home. Great times.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried to palm some duck eggs off to the neighbours but no interest. So today I left two for crow waiting patiently on the wisteria. I dont mind having big birds like that hanging overhead just before snake season.

The corner of the garden is underwater again and it is cold today. I am going to go hunting for seeds in the shops over the next few weeks to get my spring/summer veggies going. Im still very small scale, just enough for me and the pets.

Im still looking for a dog to add to the household but there are just so few little ones available here. The "adopt dont shop" crowd have left us very little choice here... Its a big aggressive bull dog or no dog. So, still no dog for me. I need something small or not at all.
This is why we preach adopt or shop RESPONSIBLY. Adopt don’t shop people drive me nuts

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was looking for another schipperke a decade back. Looked at some rescues. Many of the rescues were actually more invasive into your life than human adoption agencies.

No, I am not aggreeing to let you show up randomly at my house twice a month for two years so you can inspect the whole house. No I am not letting you tell me that a fenced yard must be solid wood or chainlink with holes no bigger than 1 inch. Chainlink is 2 inches. No I am not having every other animal I own spayed or neutered. No I am not signing a contract saying I won't have children. No I will not agree to never let children near the dog.

That all was for a 3 month old mixed breed puppy.

We gave up and just checked the shelter by Mom. They actually don't have much in requirements other than paying them. That's how we ended up with Zeus. He was just over 4 months and food aggressive. He also was terrified of people and had a lot of issues with submissive urination. Fiery the elderly schipperke, and Athena the GSD puppy gave Zeus a lot of weird looks over the food. Finally he realized there was always food available and calmed down. I learned fast you couldn't use treats to train him, so I used tons of praise. He loves people now because he knows how to give the eyes and get petted. No issues with him now.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My last dog was a min-pin rescue. We were a team! She tried to be a "farm dog" by helping me with the goats. Only problem was she wanted to protect me from them. 😁 Didn't help when I was calling them in and her little self was trying to run them off. She never bothered any others...cats, chickens. And, she was quiet as I milked. Guess only when several came at once did she feel a threat. Still miss that little girl. We had 14 yrs together.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Love my son dearly, he is on an adventure this summer working at a river fishing guide place in Alaska. I asked if he had any good salmon recipes. He said he was sick of eating salmon and moose. He wants a bacon cheeseburger and a chocolate milkshake. He has four more weeks.....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you have opinionated and spoiled silkies? :lol:

Today I'm reviewing which goats I want to, or will, take to auction on Sat....with that comes a plan to separate and contain overnight Fri to load up Sat morning. Loading is the easy part! 😁 Gotta take a couple things out of the trailer -- temp storage, ya know! But proud that is really IS only a couple things...5 min!. :clapGood girl. I'll get it moved out and mow all over the area while it's in. Planning to come home empty....but, never know what will be there. Last few times I spent a little, bought nothing that needed to be fed!

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I walked down to get the mail in the dark because I forgot. (It comes between 4-6pm.) Checked the little pacific crabapples like I've been doing every day this week. They have started turning color so time to pick in the next few days.

I looked up and with the headlamp lighting them, they looked like weird alien eggs. Just had to share it.

20210911_212853.jpg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Careful, he might get stuck up here.

:old
Had dinner with him last night. He is talking about making the move permanently, including all the needed licensing to be a registered guide.

So proud of him that some teachings stuck. He was low man in the hierarchy, but joyfully did what was needed. Helped tend the garden with the skills I demonstrated, cooked better than the hired cook (cook left a week before the camp shut down), and was helpful to older customers with mobility issues, and even entertained the kids of the owner's friend with smores

He is hooked for now

Latest posts