SS Giving - anti Black Friday

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm partial to charities that give a "hand up, not a hand out."

One of my favorited is Heifer International, which gives livestock (and training) to disadvantaged families. As a condition of the gift, the family must give the first offspring away, which makes this the gift that keeps giving šŸ˜

Another favorite of mine is Kiva, which is microlending rather than charity. If the lendee is able to repay the loan, you get your money back and can lend it again. Another gift that keeps giving.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband got burned on the Heifer Project years back. He and a bunch of 4H kids donated their best animals- the idea being it would improve the breeding stock in the third world countries they were being sent to. They found out that NOT ONE ANIMAL ended up in the hands of any farmers that year; they all ended up on the tables of crooked officials. Not saying that still happens, but he never wanted to be involved in the Project again.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My husband got burned on the Heifer Project years back. He and a bunch of 4H kids donated their best animals- the idea being it would improve the breeding stock in the third world countries they were being sent to. They found out that NOT ONE ANIMAL ended up in the hands of any farmers that year; they all ended up on the tables of crooked officials. Not saying that still happens, but he never wanted to be involved in the Project again.

it is often a major trouble in any poor country that there is corruption which prevents the poor from getting much help. so to me the main issue to address is cultural in such places. you have to find and encourage people who will fight the corruption and often risk losing their lives in the process. that's a hard ask of anyone.

you can work with a community for years to get their trees replanted and gardens growing and such but if the over-all society is not stable enough a lot of those efforts can be destroyed in one battle or fire. all you hope is that enough is left that people can survive and some of the trees will heal and give fruits again.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
That is why I really like giving to the local places, where I see that everything that I donate goes to those in need.

I greatly dislike funding bureaucracy and all of the pencil pushers.
Last year I enjoyed using a local Facebook group to give locally. Fuel-only gas cards for a young man getting his life in order after some awful life choices. Food boxes to families on quarantine. Make a lovely little academic gift bag for a girl who was behind on reading at the same time my son finished the same reading level - I stuffed it with stickers, prizes, incentives, coupons for free ice cream, etc. Someone my size need boots - I had never-worn nice snow boots in my basement. A kid needed a certain model of calculator for school - I had 3 of the same model and no reason to keep them all. It was more satisfying than donating to Goodwill! But now with the Facebook - Meta thing, I'm not using Facebook hardly at all and have left groups. So IDK what I will do going forward. I miss it but I am not willing to support Meta in any way. No data or ad views from me!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last year I enjoyed using a local Facebook group to give locally. Fuel-only gas cards for a young man getting his life in order after some awful life choices. Food boxes to families on quarantine. Make a lovely little academic gift bag for a girl who was behind on reading at the same time my son finished the same reading level - I stuffed it with stickers, prizes, incentives, coupons for free ice cream, etc. Someone my size need boots - I had never-worn nice snow boots in my basement. A kid needed a certain model of calculator for school - I had 3 of the same model and no reason to keep them all. It was more satisfying than donating to Goodwill! But now with the Facebook - Meta thing, I'm not using Facebook hardly at all and have left groups. So IDK what I will do going forward. I miss it but I am not willing to support Meta in any way. No data or ad views from me!
Perhaps your community has bulletin boards somewhere? or a free "newsletter" called Weekly Penny or something like that? Places where people might be able to post needs or extras or volunteer services, etc for no charge. Sure there might be people that take advantage of it, but the same can be said of Facebook etc.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here in town is a food pantry run %100 by volunteers, no paid employees.

They give out food, but they also give out care packages (toothbrushes and toothpaste etc) to the homeless, and coats and such. You can stop by and ask what kind of things they need.

Maybe your town has a place like that.