Standby Power...It Adds Up Quick

OaklandCityFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So, many of us own electronics like a microwave, a tv, a dvd/vcr, computers, cell phones amongst other items.

Well for those of us who can't do without (I got rid of my microwave, tv, dvd and vcr 3 years ago) we need to seriously look at 'Standby Power' consumption. Many of the electronics that we use at home require small amounts of electricity throughout the day to be ready to be used or to power an ongoing clock. These small amounts of energy can really add up. Let's look at these numbers for instance. Now, of course all models vary and price of energy will vary so these are estimates but you get the idea. So I can low ball it at 6 cents and high ball it at 12 cents per kWh which is around the US National average for electricity.

Microwave 4 watts x 24 hours x 30 days = 2880 wattage hours
2880= 2.8 kWh which turns out to be either:
.16 cents at 6 cents or .33 cents at 12 cents

Television 10 watts x 24 x 30 = 7200
7200= 7.2 kWh which turns out to be either:
.43 cents at 6 cents or .86 cents at 12 cents

VCR 8 watts x 24 x 30 = 5760
5760= 5.7 kWh which turns out to be either:
.34 cents at 6 cents or .68 cents at 12 cents

DVD Player 6 watts x 24 x 30 = 4320
4320= 4.3 kWh
.25 cents at 6 cents or .51 cents at 12 cents

Satellite System/Cable Box Average 14 watts x 24 x 30 = 10080
10080= 10 kWh
.60 cents at 6 cents or 1.2 dollars at 12 cents

Computer/Printer Combo 9 watts x 24 x 30 = 6480
6480= 6.4 kWh
.38 cents at 6 cents or .76 cents at 12 cents

Now, I know this may not sound like a lo but let's say you own all of the above items. This comes out to about $25 - $52 per year. You add a cell phone charger, a cordless phone, a breadmaker, a range and you double your consumption! Another thing to consider is how many TV's do you own? Each one adds up!

Keep in mind standby power makes up 5% of the average US households electrical energy costs. Not only does this help bring your bill down, think about what it does to reduce your carbon imprint.

What can you do about it? Learn how to really turn your appliances off.

There are some quick, easy and cheap ways to fix this. Buying power strips for your TV/Entertainment areas can take care of a huge chunk of your standby power. Doing the same for your kitchen appliances, computer work stations and cell phone chargers will help too.

Another way would be to buy appliances that use lower amounts of energy to operate to begin with.

Hope this was helpful.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good point. I saw on Living with Ed on planet green where there is a switch you can buy and install that would take care of what he called the vampire energy. It is for those things that suck up energy when you aren't using it. You flip the switch and it shuts them down.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I love power strips. With a single flip of a switch I turn off the power to a whole lot of stuff and it doesn't get to come back on untill I flip that switch again. Works like a charm. I have them all over the place.
All computer plugs on one, all lizard lights and heaters on another, entertainment on another strip etc. When it's not needed a single flip turns it all off completely.
Other things we just leave unplugged unless we need them, like the blender that gets used for a few minutes a day for our daily smoothie.
Basically, we try to think about the appliances we use and how we use them. We allow ourselves the priviledge of using them, but they don't need to be plugged in all the time.

sunnychooks

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've heard this referred to as Phantom Energy. Power strips are great but we've also gotten into the habit of simply pulling plugs! That works better for smaller appliances such as clock/radios that are only used as a radio or a coffee maker that always shows the time.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, phantom energy! I sometimes call it 'ghost energy' or when Dh looks at me funny as i pull the plugs, "that's ghost power'

Have been unplugging toaster and using powerstrip on computers. Unplug dvd and tv at night or is going to be gone all day.

Don't unplug the coffee pot because we use the timer for the morning and would have to reset it every night. (whine)

We go and in out the garage a lot but try to not raise/lower the automatic more more than necessary.

I agree, the little things do add up.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hear it as Phantom Energy Users also. I do the same. I have some things on a power strip...full shut off strips.....and some things I just unplug when not in use...like the micro.

I do what I can. But I wish Tony would follow and show some interest..LOL...he leaves on the lights and everything else, I walk behind and shut them all down.

LOL
yes, every penny adds up fast.