Starting a New Company.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is going to be a bit long so I may break it up a little.

I grew up in rural areas and for much of my life I actually grew up quite poor. This was a good thing though as I learned to live without and I had to learn how to survive a very much self sufficient life. We gardened, preserved food, farmed animals and earned our living from the woods.

My parents taught me how to work. My Dad taught me how to fix just about anything. We hunted, fished, trapped and gathered edibles.

My dad worked as a carpenter but during the late 70's and all through the80's things were tough. My Dad did a lot of things to earn money and being as poor as we were, my brothers and myself where always in the mix of labor.

Some of the things I remember doing that looking back were a bit out of the ordinary, but non the less fed the family in hard times. I never remember going without. We cut cedar shake bolts, cut firewood, picked moss, ferns, salal, cedar boughs, mushrooms and berries. For several years my Dad had a permit to salvage from a drop box. We literally lived out of a drop box while living in a shack that we rented for $50 a month. Did I mention we were poor and times were tough? There were many a meal that came from the drop box. Usually when the Mormans changed out their canned goods once a year. Not as bad as it first sounded huh?

I will say again that we never went without. My dad while working the drop box made most of our money at first recycling the metals that people threw away; copper, steal, aluminum, brass and so on. This was all clean separated and hauled into the scrap yards. Soon he discovered that much of what people threw away was perfectly good. He would pull this stuff out and put it aside. When we had enough stuff to fill the truck we would haul it up to a flee market on the week ends and sell. Soon he was making more buying and selling stuff at the flee market then he was scrapping. I being the oldest was brought along to help sell while he was out buying. Eventually over time his merchandise ended up more in the antiques end of things. This meant that he moved from the flee markets to working the mall show circuits. Then this went to selling antiques whole sale to other dealers. During that 10 years of my life, I got an education that is still special to me.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Leaving home.

After High school I had big dreams of becoming a photographer and went to school in Minnesota. I soon learned that the glamor of a photographer was a myth and romance did not feed you very well. I soon went back to what I knew and that was construction.

Construction paid the bills and I moved around the country following jobs and I did not stick with one type of construction. I worked as a carpenter building homes and did a fair amount of commercial work. I also worked as a millwright/ fabricator. As I worked on a wide variety of projects, I learned as many techniques in building.

Living in better economic times, I was able to live a life being able to provide for my children all those things that I never had. Or so I thought. Really, what have I given my children that I did not have. Sure I never had new toys or the latest thing like my friends. My friends though never had the fun that I had running through the woods trapping, fishing and hunting. My children seem to think that work is a dirty word. Now they are not as bad as some but still I still see a hint of something that I do not like and I wonder is I really did my children a favor. My kids did not always have it easy and I liked the rural life style and so lived it for the most part.

There was a difference though. growing up I lived in a small house and and we build or made just about everything that we needed. No my children seem to have everything they need and want and it was all bought. Very little was home made. Up until recently we lived in what I consider a house that way too big and unnecessary. Also the properties that we lived on were way to big for our needs. Much of the property just sat unused. Sure it is nice to have the privacy and all, but an awful lot to keep up with and seems to waste a lot of time that could be spent on things that I much rather do. To me it seems that the more we have the more stressful it is to keep and to keep up with.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Where this has brought me to.

Well in the last 10 years my body has literally broken down to the point that I am unable to do much of anything. I am however mentally active. I can't stop. I do research and I am constantly educating myself including going back to school.

With my past and with my observation in the 40 years, I feel that smaller and closer to the land is better.
Now I am not a greeny hippy and I do not believe in the whole Mother Earth religious experience. What I do believe in though is that we have traded life for the pursuit of stuff. I also believe in taking care of what we have. Not because I am afraid of what will happen to the earth but because I am an economist.

I am an economist as in a philosophy. Economy really is a study of the path of least resistance to balance. Everything has to find a natural balance and no matter how we push the water around in the tub it is always going to fill the empty space. If we take from one part it is always going to fill in. There is nothing we can do to change this. If we destroy nature in one place then we find that we will not be able to survive there and as we move nature will fill that void. If we get too overwhelming then it all collapses and when we leave a void nature will fill that void. It is the way it is and nothing you can do to change it on a grand scheme. We can however change things in our own lives and how we experience this life.

Why not stop and simplify this life and enjoy the time that we have. Having toys and every thing want does not bring us the happiness we seek. Wanting is far more enjoyable than having. Having a goal and working towards that goal is far more fun and fulfilling than completing that goal.

I have found that living life today's time is far more enjoyable than anything else I have ever experienced. A big dinner with friends and family is always my favorite memories, so why not have more. A fishing trip with my boys is as special as it gets. A night on the town with my wife. A trip to the beach. Sitting on the porch watching the sunset. Playing music with my neighbor. Life remembered is full of special moments, not the drudgery of toil and the worry of loosing.

So how can we do this? How can we live a simpler life that allows us to enjoy the life we have?

Smaller and simpler.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A new Company for me.

This brings me to a new company that I am in the middle of setting up right now. I want to bring this life to others who see it the same way. I understand that not everyone will catch my vision. I do believe though that there are many who are tiered of the rat race and if given the chance to experience the life style that I speak of will fall in love with it and follow.

For the last three years during my down time in between surgeries I have been building plans for eco homes. I am setting up a company that will build homes 1100 square feet and under that are ultra energy efficient. These homes will cost less than 100k to produce, with many models costing 50k to produce. We will also be offering plans to those who want to do the work themselves which I highly recommend.

What I need from this community is HELP.
I am in the research stage of what the consumer wants. What is it that you want to see in a home. What amenities do you want? What is important to you in a home? How close to town do you want to be or do you want to be in town with in walking distance? What kind of flooring, what type of heat, other finishes and so on. How much land do you want? So forth and so on.

I am not here to sell anything. I am here to research. I will not give out contact info to anyone. I will help those who want help with there own project for free in exchange for the help I am getting here. I want to be a benefit to this community and I do not want anyone thinking I am here for as a spammer. i am here to be a part of this community and nothing more.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, great goals, Wallybear! And my hat's off to ya!

Diversity will be the biggest chore for you, I'm guessing. When I sold real estate, I was surprised at the many different things that people 'had' to have in their living space, some being just totally ridiculous as far as I was concerned. But they didn't care how lousy everything else was as long as it had that 'one' feature.

As Bill and I get closer to retirement, we know that we'll have to sell this huge house and move into something more affordable. I have yet to see house plans for most of what I want:

I want hard surface floors (Bill wants carpet).
Earth sheltered with daylight patio doors on the bedrooms in the back. Picture a large egress window with translucent cover, just patio door size. Love the PAHS concept, too.
Slightly bigger closets or storage space, not room sized, but I do want to keep some of my stuff.
Pantry in the kitchen.
Passive solar orientation, with maybe a stone wall adjacent to catch and hold some solar heat - master bath behind this wall so the bathroom stays a bit warmer.
Attached greenhouse or walipini that allows for some winter gardening.
http://www.bensoninstitute.org/Publication/Manuals/Walipini.pdf
Plumbing situated so a simple ball valve turn could direct grey water to garden area - is there such a thing? :eek:)
The 4- 1/2 acres we have is plenty as we don't have animals, just a few hens. We're 11 miles away from a town of any size and that's about perfect for me.
Non-traditional wall finishes, flooring. I'm so sick of cookie cutter housing, but that's all that Bill can relate to. He's slowly coming around...
Locally found recycled materials used.
1100 sq. ft. tops, open floor plan is good
Rocket mass heater! - Bill wants a traditional heating system backup.

Is this the kind of info that you're looking for?

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First, Good Luck!! These should be the housing of the future with families getting back to basics and what's truly important in life!!

Now to my wish list...

Pantry...big one!! I keep small kitchen appliances as well as food stuffs in mine.

Closets..plenty!! We live in a house built in 1976 with such small closets it's crazy!!

Windows...with proper window and fan placement you'll have no need for any type of AC unit.

I second Marianne's grey water idea :thumbsup

Hard surface flooring...boo to carpet.

Tankless hot water heater! Saves money and floor space.

Master bath...sharing a bathroom with my 3 disgusting kids is awful! Doesn't need to be huge...just private.

As far as location...I personally would want 5-10 miles from nearest town on minimum of 3 acres.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
A super efficient home for $90 a square foot. I am interested in what you come up.

Just a few of my ideas.
Geothermal heating.
I live in an area with hot and humid summers so central AC is a must. Window units and a dehumidifier don't always cut it.
Some sort of heating supplement for the geothermal.
Lots of natural lighting which makes heating and cooling a challenge.
Radiant floor heating or something along those lines. Warm floors feel real good on bare feet.
Lots of pantry/food storage space.
Ample closet space.
Efficient kitchen that isn't cramped.
A dishwasher.
Freezer.
Naturally you gotta have a refrigerator and a stove.
Clothes washer and dryer.

For now I'll let you figure out how to make it happen.
Proximity to town, amount of land, etc. are not really issues to me right now.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh ya, tankless water heater for sure. I can't believe I forgot about that one!

Ditto on the big pantry. I guess I was picturing it and not specific. I would like to have my freezer in there, plus room for recycle bins.

I'm pretty much the only cook here, so a smaller, more efficient workspace is okay. Not dinky, but a 2 person space is good. I absolutely hate tall kitchen wall cabinets. I'm not short, either, but I don't want cupboards that I have to get a step stool to reach something on the top shelf. I'm opting for a couple of 24" wide pantry units, one for food, one for dishes, and then base cupboards. I'm looking for the 'right' dresser to use in our kitchen. I'd rather have big, deep drawers instead of cupboards that I have to get on the floor to get something from the back of the lower shelf.

And enough countertop space for when I'm doing some serious baking or canning.

You know what would be neat? Having a cold room or root cellar that had indoor access - Someone designed a cooling system like a refrigerator that used the cold air from the earth instead of typical refrigeration. I think I saw it at permies.com. I'll have to look for it and post.

I think by having an earth sheltered home, a lot of these could be addressed with good planning....hmmmm.

Hang in there with the one bathroom, yourbadd. We had three kids and one bathroom, too. The kids finally grew up and moved out on their own. :) We raised them in a 1920's house with a total of 2 little closets. Challenging at times.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hi Wally. Thanks for posting your story.

I studied solar engineering back in the 80's and part of the course was energy efficiency and/or alternative housing so I find this topic very interesting.

What is it that you want to see in a home.
Open floor plan. I can't stand stuffy small rooms. My current home is only about 1000 sq ft and I did wish I had a full basement. If I did I would put my son down there LOL

What amenities do you want?
Since I cook pretty much all our food from scratch, a good kitchen. lots of cabinet space, shelving for my fermenting, canning supplies, etc... and a huge refrigerator for those bubbling jars of nummy stuff :D

I hate a lot of the new home designs with these gigantic master bedrooms and itty bitty kids rooms. How about normal sized bedrooms for all but a separate bathroom for kids and parents? I think not having to share a bathroom with teenagers is a big selling point :gig

I also wish my kitchen has some consideration for indoor growing. The kitchen window faces south, but I don't have space for window shelving that I could be using to grow herbs and greens.

What is important to you in a home?
It should be easy to heat, easy to cool and filled with light. I know those things can work against each other, but double and triple pane windows, light tubes, skylights, great insulation etc.. can give you all.

How close to town do you want to be or do you want to be in town with in walking distance?
I like being close to stores, but I do wish I had more land. I can live anywhere as long as I have a high speed internet connection :D

What kind of flooring, what type of heat, other finishes and so on.
We recently ripped out every single bit of carpeting in our house. It was nasty. I will never ever ever ever have carpet again. If I really feel I need some rugs, it will have to be something I can throw in the washer. Tile, wood, not sure which. As long as it is easy to clean, I am happy. Since a lot of us have animals, think "critter proof". I bet the type of material would vary greatly depending on the area. In some place stone is going to be cheap. In other areas, bamboo flooring would be cheaper.

As far as heating and thinking about my current home, I wish I had options. We have gas. Nothing wrong with it, but sometimes I can get a better price on fire wood. I also wish passive solar would have been incorporated in to the original house design. While it often isn't economical to have solar panels and totally depend on solar, things like a trombe wall can really pay for themselves in a short period of time and help with heating and cooling. Also there was no thought to gardening involved in the layout of the lot. If you are targeting SS types, how the house, garden and animals pens work together is an important consideration.

How much land do you want? So forth and so on.
Right now my house is on .167th of an acre. TOO SMALL but I still make the best of the available space. I would love to have 5 acres. If I was home full time, I could utilize 10 very well. I think land availability in the region you are building is going to make a lot of difference. A small lot CAN be very efficient (www.pathtofreedom.com) if you put thought in to it. My roof on my current home is almost flat (rolled roofing). If it had been designed to hold a higher load, that is 1000' of space that could be a rooftop garden.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Having lived in a house that was 420 square feet for 8 years, I have some strong opinions about what is needed and not needed.

No carpet. Then you are not storing a vac. Rugs can be put down in winter.

Plenty of storage. Like attic space or an attached shed. Us SS types often have a bunch of stuff like canners, food dryers, sewing notions, etc.

Decent wood heat, installed properly.

No countertops/backsplash etc that is "textured". They are impossible to keep clean.

Windows MUST be situated to the predominant wind direction in summer. What's the point of having windows if no air blows through them?

Some kind of cellar, if possible. It works as cool food storage, pantry, and storm shelter.

A fairly level driveway, that does NOT face north, or at least is not shaded, for homes built in snowy areas.

A front or back entryway (aka mudroom) for messy boots and such.

At least an acre, or a few acres, for garden, fruit trees, etc.

The bathroom door should not be in the kitchen. (as mine is now)

Good countertop space, good cupboards. Simple flat fronts to cabinets. Lots of shelves for all the little jars of weird stuff we collect. And lower the countertops a bit. I'm short, and I can't do things like knead bread on my countertops b/c they're too high. At least size the counters to the person who will be using the kitchen most. Maybe a cooking shelf that can be folded flat against the wall when not in use?

Someplace to hang often-used utensils and pots/pans.

Latest posts