Steam canner?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anyone have a steam canner?

We have a neighbor that buys huge jars of jam/whatever, divides it into smaller jars, then steam cans them. Other things she'll open the jar, spoon out what she needs, then steam can the original jar again.

She has a regular pressure canner, but she said this was a steam canner.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Anyone have a steam canner?

We have a neighbor that buys huge jars of jam/whatever, divides it into smaller jars, then steam cans them. Other things she'll open the jar, spoon out what she needs, then steam can the original jar again.

She has a regular pressure canner, but she said this was a steam canner.

I've got one and have been using it for years for things we used to do in a BWB pot. Works like a charm, is smaller than the big speckled pot and it uses less water. No problems with jars breaking in it and having to discard a whole pot of hot water and start all over.

LOVE my steam canner and don't know what I ever did without it. Anything you can do in a boiling water bath, you can do with the steam canner, but you don't have to worry about warming jars to go into hot water, don't have to take forever to heat that huge pot of water, etc.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow! I wished I would have known about them back in the day.
My neighbor has a mentally challenged adult daughter that gets into anything, especially sweet stuff in the frig with her hands. So, they have small jars of everything in there.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wow! I wished I would have known about them back in the day.
My neighbor has a mentally challenged adult daughter that gets into anything, especially sweet stuff in the frig with her hands. So, they have small jars of everything in there.

You can ever flip it over and it turns into a pot you can cook in if you have to. It's so very light wt that it's a joy to work with, easier to store, etc.

Do you still can? It's never too late to get one. :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love my Steam Canner! I can a lot more now that I have it. I like to use filtered water for canning because out water is so hard and the cloudy film left on the jars drove me nuts with the BWB canner. It uses alot les water which is great. When I discovered that my BWB canner cracked on the bottom when the squirrel knocked it off the shelf in the basement - I immediately replaced it with a Steam Canner.

My steam canner has a knob on the lid with a temperature gauge in it, so I can't turn it over and cook in it like @Beekissed commented, but I like it anyway.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine has a temp gauge on the top as well.

I get a scale on my jars from our water as well. Yes, another good benefit of a steam canner.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I've used it in place of a water bath last year, and when I canned before my hiatus. I like it a lot better. Not nearly as messy or hot as water bath canning. I think your food turns out better in a steam canner too.

However, it is not an approved canning method by the USDA. But, I think it works well for high acid foods.

I'd never do a low acid food in it or a boiling water bath.

Latest posts