Steam canning

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw one a couple of weeks ago on Craig's list. It looked like an antique. I haven't heard much about using one. I hope there is some interest in this topic so I can learn a few things.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've been using one for about 8-9 yrs now and love it. I haven't WB anything since getting the steam canner. Can't say enough good things about it. No more heavy pan of water on the stove, no more worry about jars breaking in all that water and having to start all over again in heating that big pot and cleaning out all the glass and wasted food, no more waiting forever for all that water to heat up each time, less total water usage, no racks for lowering jars into boiling water, etc.

It's lightweight, fast, easy to use, smaller than a WB pot and versatile, as you can flip it over and use the lid as a pot if so desired.

Look how well it fits on the stove alongside the pressure canner....
100_3440.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This is so interesting… We always spooned boiling hot goods into sterilised jars, sealed the jars and that was it. No canners etc in our home. Although I remember my mom once canning some tiny apricots in the jars in the pressure cooker. The flavour was incredible!

I'm learning a lot reading the canning posts and threads here...