Sterno fuels

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not really sure if this should go here or in the hunting section, but I bought a little sterno stove for a buck at the dollar store. I was looking at the fuel at Sam's Club for less than a buck per can, but it's 72 cans. I probably wouldn't use that in my lifetime, because even in a SHTF scenario, I'd be building fires, not messing with tiny little hiking stoves. But, I think this thing would be NICE for long days of fishing where fires are not permitted, or even in certain hunting situations, and possibly even camping situations, until I get a dutch oven. Eggs store well for all of this, IF you can prevent from smashing them. And, what's better than eggs when you're out in the woods? Yum! Anyways, has anyone ever used this stuff? I've used it during hunting before, instead of packing up and coming home for something to eat, or eating crap, we've cooked in the woods. Basically, just want some input on it, lol.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a little folding stove that I've used when doing the Outdoor Cooking badge with my Girl Guides--they need to try as many different types of cooking as possible to get the badge. It's a low heat, takes a while to boil water, thus why they use cans of sterno under steam trays of food at hotel buffets for weddings etc. because they aren't as likely to burn the food. But it does work :)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wonder how much fuel it'd take to cook something like eggs or bacon (to crispy). I want it more for a novelty, but don't want to plunk down a lot of money for each meal. If it's cheaper to just buy a dutch oven for a fire, then I might as well not even bother, lol.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have sterno in our BOB's. If we ever have to use them I don't want to give away our location. Wood smoke can be smelled and seen from quite a distance. We use the grease pots from walmart. You can boil water or cook food in them and they heat up quickly.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Grease pots? I'll have to do some googling, lol.
They are the aluminum pot used for seperating/cleaning grease. They are the right size to put 2 cans of sterno in before stuffing in your bag. Our walmart has them in the kitchen gadgets isle.

There is some guy on you tube that shows how he uses one like that.

This one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Ko_QUA28s&feature=related
Hope that works. I'm not very good with these electronic things.