Stevia in jams and jellies?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
All right you geniuses out there, I have a diabetic BIL with a sweet tooth and I want to make him some fruit only jam for Christmas.

I already understand the need for the special "no sugar" pectins and that I may need to do a bit of doctoring on the flavor. The problem is that I have some nice tart blackberries and they really need a bit of sweetness to perk them up. Artificial sweeteners are out of the question. Just won't use them. I trust God far more that any chemist which leaves me using stevia.

I have used it to sweeten tea and stuff like that but how about to make my jam?

Anyone out there with experience that would like to help? Recipes please!! :)

If the first batch is successful I am doing no added sugar apricot jam next.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
the thing with stevia is...
it gets bitter with heating.

also, it only blends well with certain flavors. i don't like it with tart. i think it turns... just weird.

i would use apple juice or apples to sweeten if you aren't going with artificials (i approve i HATE artificials)...

the other option would be sugar alcohols. although they all give me nasty burps LOL.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I make jelly with stevia...or not, depending on the juice. We are used to lower sweetness levels, though.

What I do is taste the juice and sweeten accordingly. When it is sweet enough, I make the jelly. It comes out best if you use other naturally sweet juices to sweeten it most of the way...grape and pomegranate work well and can be easily purchased, especially in the natural section of the grocery store.

Mixtures are REALLY good, too! And sound really fancy. I have some elderberry/pomegranate/cherry/grape that is really yummy! It was made from the mixed leftovers from several batches that I made during the same session. It was my favorite...

I just followed the instructions in the insert in the pectin box and used the instructions for the most predominant juice. I also use the pure liquid stevia extract, which has nothing extra like the powder does. I suspect the powder might also make it cloudy.

I also chose flavors that were a bit stronger, so would hide the stevia taste. It all came out quite delicious, and I will make more when we run out. We don't use much jelly, so 13 half pints lasted me a bit over a year.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I bought the extract.

So should I heat with the pectin and THEN add the stevia at the last to not heat it so much? Or just sweeten the berries with it at the beginning?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I sweetened at the beginning so I could taste it and adjust. I liked the way it came out.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
my taste buds are too sensitive LOL. i have to add my stevia after things cook. i can taste dozens of taste stages with the herb.

i do the same with basil though :D

i'm a super taster. i don't taste anything too strongly... it's not like pepper is SUPER PEPPER... but i taste more nuances than anyone i know.

so it's very possible most people can't tell that it bitters >.>

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I TOTALLY appreciate that abifae. :) Remember I work with lots of auties everyday. I have learned to trust those super sensitive sensors. :cool:

I think I am going to try and add the stevia to the beginning of one batch and the end of the other. I will let you all know the results of the experiment.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Is he type 1 or type 2? If he's type 1 just use sugar. He can take some extra insulin to counteract it. Type 1 diabetics don't have the same sugar restrictions that they used to. Regardless, the carbs will be just as bad as the sugar anyway. Like Wifezilla says carbs convert straight to sugar.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I believe he is type 2. He is NOT on insulin as of yet just controls with diet.

HE uses stevia most of the time in the things he eats. I realize that fruit of any kind is still mostly sugar, but a no "sugar" added jelly will allow him to count it as a fruit serving instead of candy or something else.

He has always loved my homemade blackberry jelly. That is why I though this would be a good gift ... packaged in small jars. ;)