Stew recipes....is there a thread already?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am going to try making my first stew, and I want to know how to make a thick gravy for it. Do you just use flour and water and the juices from your meat?

I know it doesn't take much flour, right?

Salt and pepper to taste??

I am just guessing here, but I am going to cook up a 2 pound roast today to chop up into a stew for tomorrow. Would like lots of advice on how to make the stew.

I have green beans and carrots and onions and potatoes to go in the stew. Anything else?

Mrs. H.

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think corn starch makes a lot nicer gravy than flour. Just mix it with very cold water before adding to your juices .

I put cut up beef and a cup of water and alot of chunky veges in my slow cooker and cook away till done. Then add the corn starch mixture.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Thank you! Now I will be checking my cupboards to see if I have corn startch! (pretty sure I do!) ;)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
i love my beef stew!
I toss the beef cubes (uncooked) in seasoned flour
Brown them in a little oil (then put meat into a bowl and set aside)
Chunk up some veg (potatoes, carrots, celery)
Add can of broth to the bits left in the pan, warm it up and scrape up the yummy bits

Layer veg then meat in crock pot, add broth, & 28oz can to whole tomatoes toss on a bay leaf and let it go for several hours. It has a nice rich gravy.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
You are going to cook your meat first? Did I read that right?
If so, it won't take your stew very long to cook. You can make a thick flour brown gravy with some of the drippings from the cooked meat. That might add more flavor to your stew. I usually end up with what we call stoup. A cross between stew and soup. Its to think to really be considered a soup and not quite thick enough to be considered a stew. I am sure no matter what you do, it will be good.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
To be honest, I have never made beef stew, or any stew really, before. So I just assumed I would cook the meat first because it would take the longest???

I am completely open to other ideas, stew recipes. :D I'll eventually try them all, tweak them to my liking, and come up with something that works for my family. :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Quail, I would not pre cook the meat....unless you are browning it before it goes into the pot :)

If you are doing it in a dutch oven/big stew pot, I would season you meat with salt & pepper dredge in flour (add herbs if you like) brown it up in a little oil then remove from the pot, sautee onion or just add beef stock or a little tomato product to lift up the bits (called deglazing your pan) then add everything back into pot and simmer long and low.
Whatever recipe you decide to use, this is the general method.

Mrs. H.

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
To be honest, I have never made beef stew, or any stew really, before. So I just assumed I would cook the meat first because it would take the longest???

I am completely open to other ideas, stew recipes. :D I'll eventually try them all, tweak them to my liking, and come up with something that works for my family. :D
Beef stew is actually easy to do. I never brown my meat. Don't know why, just don't. I add worcestershire sauce for flavor, along with other spices like pepper, garlic, seasoned salt, etc. I just add more flavor after it is done if not salty enough etc. easier to add than try to remove. Good luck with your new meal!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, I did go ahead and brown my meat..rolled it in flour first...I had put my veggies in the slow cooker with some broth and let that cook for a couple hours...then I tossed in the meat and slow cooked it all night....

This morning for breakfast we had beef stew and biscuits :gig DH and the kids LOVED it!

Not a conventional breakfast, but it worked, was filling and hot, and for dinner we'll have pancakes ROTFL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know you have recipes already but you said you wanted lots. Since I am a working gal.....And I dont own a crockpot (well I did but it broke, lol) I thought I would give you mine. i do not have recipes for many meal items. You kknow how it is, a pinch of this and that. But I can tell you somewhat.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I dont brown my meat
Lots of onios
bag or two frozen carrots
Bag or two frozen peas
bag or two frozen corn
Diced potatoes
salt
pepper
garlic
bay leaf sometimes
basil
two pkgs brown gravy mix
two pkgs mushroom gravy mix
water

I can make gravy, I just dont feel like it if I am doing this after work. So this is one of the working womens version, LOL. Oh yead, throw it all into the pot and cook for 4 hrs.