"Stiff" Pastry?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My SO likes Toaster Strudel and I can't stand buying convenience food when I'm staying at home and there's no reason why I can't cook!

I can make amazing flaky pastries, so I thought I would give it a try. They are baking now. :)

Anyways, I won't roll out pastry dough more than 2 times. After that, it gets dry and stiff and isn't as nice and flaky.

What can I do with this leftover "stiff" pastry dough?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Mom always made us cinnamon treats, so I do now for my kids also (even the GF/DF crusts work). She would cut the leftover pastry into strips, brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, bake until the crust is golden. We loved them as kids. Wonder what else you could do with them?

partyfowl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
My Mom always made us cinnamon treats, so I do now for my kids also (even the GF/DF crusts work). She would cut the leftover pastry into strips, brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, bake until the crust is golden. We loved them as kids. Wonder what else you could do with them?
MY GRANDMOTHER DID THE SAME. SHE WOULD GIVE MY SISTER AND I OUR OWN "PIE" AND WE COULD TOP IT WITH CIN/SUGAR BUTTER THAN JAM.

YUM... I THINK I'LL NEED TO BAKE A PIE TODAY!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I made a basic pastry:

1 cup shortening
3 cups flour

I cut in the shortening until the clumps are "pea-sized." Do this quickly and with a light touch.

Then add up to 1/2 cup of COLD water. Cut in just a little at a time until the mixture starts to clump, but is not moist. Gently knead into 2 or 3 disc shapes.

Roll out to just less than 1/4" thickness. Cut out circle or square shapes.

Take two shapes. Put about 1 T of filling on one side (I used strawberry freezer jam) and spread to 1/2" from edges. Wet the edge with water. Put the top of the pastry on. Press the edges together, crimp with a fork.

Bake on a sheet at 350 for 15 (?) minutes. I lost track of time. The pastry was cooked but not browned on top.

Freeze. And pop in the toaster before enjoying. (They're pretty good fresh too!)

partyfowl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yum!! Thank you sooo much!
I'm sure it will be a favorite with my kiddos!