Still thinking about the possibilty of a national health insurance

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
When we were kids [back in the dark ages], Dr. M would come to the house and treat us. He gave mom advice on which medicine might work (usually Bayer aspirin, lots of juice; maybe penicillin if we had a severe infection).

Then he sat down and had dinner with the rest of the family. I think dinner was his whole payment at times. At the holidays, mom always made a couple strudels for him and Mrs. M.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ahhh, I sooo wish it were more like the old days... when doctoring wasn't lead by selfishness and the drug companies weren't trying to come up with new things to kill you with, all in the name of money. You didn't have to drag a sick kid out through the snow, doc came to you...and it was so much more personal. Maybe we died of things that can be taken care of easier today but you know what...at least everything was more on the up and up and you didn't have to fear being sued as a doctor either. It was so much less stressful and so much more personal on both sides. Now we are leary of our doctors and they are more leary of us.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The biggest problem I see with a gov't sponsered health insurance plan is, why should the taxx dollars my dh works hard for go to pay for the insurance of those who refuse to work? All it will do is encourage more people to not work hard & strive to get the better job with all the benefits.

And do you honestly think that the private insurance companies can compete with a gov't sponsered program? No they will not be able to thank you.

I am in favor of a sliding scale fee at Dr's offices though. The Dr's here will charge you less for cash payments.