Stocking up: Clothing

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I lived close to a city back east, the hospital usually had a "nearly new" sale each year and the got some of the most incredible clothes which they sold really cheap. I got a "Brooks Bros." suit for $5! I couldn't even afford one of their ties but that hospital sale was incredible.
Now I buy good socks (w arm ones) and cold weather stuff. I'm not as hard on clothes as I used to be when I was younger and I'm not all that obsessed with how I look, either!
Trim sends
//BT //

nikki4612

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My parents lived in France in the 1950s. First realize that this was just 5 years after WWII. People didn't have much of anything and prices were extremely high. Mom told me that the French were always beautifully dressed but they had a secret. They owned very few items of clothes but they were classic styles and good materials. They took excellent care of them and only wore them in public. In the 50s, women wore something called "house coats" at home. Your good clothes were not worn around the house.

Most people now have far more clothes than they did in the 50s. But each item is of lesser quality and not well maintained. Instead of stocking up on cheap clothes that don't last, buy a couple of well made items of natural fibers and save in the long run.

Stock up on underwear and socks, not clothes. Don't buy a dozen pair of cheap blue jeans and Chinese made shirts that barely make it through a few washings. Don't buy trendy items or ones that will look dated quickly. I have a blazer that is 25 years old and looks as good today as it did when I bought it. It was expensive then but if you divide the cost over 25 years, it was the best buy ever. I could have bought dozens of cheap jackets in that same time and spent a lot more money. Instead it always looks great and I can wear it with everything.

Also, hand wash everything you can to keep your clothes in good shape. You'll save money too since you'll be using less electricity.

Wear aprons when cooking or doing work that is messy. And have a change of shirt with you in the car, at work, etc.

Have a signature color. Wearing primarily black, navy or dark brown can stretch your clothes while allowing you to mix and match. It's the uniform concept. Have a "uniform" that you wear for most occassions. You'll always look good and save money.

I hope this helps. It's not probably what you expected but anyone can tell you to shop at thrift shops. I want you to realize you don't have to shop hardly at all.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Basically all of my clothes are Goodwill purchases. I did buy a pair of totally cute wedge heels on clearance for $10 yesterday, plus spent another $5 on two sweaters (on clearance and had a $25 gift card from xmas). Everything else comes from Goodwill. I'm VERY picky though, so I only got one pair of pants the day before yesterday. Last time I went, I got 5 nice pairs. I try to go when they have a big sale, because then I can get pants for $3/pair and shirts for $2. My mom does most of the yardsaling and she'll get me shirts and pants for $1-$2. I'm just too lazy to get up that darned early! But, for Goodwill, I can get my favorite pants (Aeropostale, lol) for $6 or less, AND in good condition! Kid's clothes come from xmas gifts (my sister LOVES shopping for clothes for them for xmas gifts, thank my lucky stars), goodwill (Old Navy and such for $2 or less) and yardsales. Sometimes I'll spring for new outfits at Walmart (I sound like such a cheap ass), but for a 2 year old and a 4 year old, nobody really cares if they've got Walmart clothes.
I haven't started making clothes, but I have purchased ugly clearance shorts and converted them to super cute skirts. Takes some work to convert them properly, but when it's done, you can have some really cute, one of a kind skirts! I HAVE been peeking at the patterns at Walmart, since some of the cute fashion trends these days consist of half a square inch of fabric. Ok, so maybe that's a little bit of a push, but I like the layered looks and you could very easily make layers to put over shirts very easily and very cheaply. I also sometimes patch up clothes if I can do it without it looking like a patch job. Used to patch my old socks, now I've finally given that up and realized that I only need to buy a new pack for about $6 once every year or so, and that's much easier than sewing dirty old socks... I actually just fixed up the boyfriend's shirt, it's my absolute favorite and the darn button came off in the dryer, so I put that baby back on. It's basically a brand new shirt, and they design those babies to croak after a few wears (come on, why would you use cheap thread instead of button thread anyways?!)

Shoes are a totally different story. My mom buys shoes like crazy, and I end up thieving a pair from her every once in awhile. The ones I have now were worn a few times (we have the exact same footprint though, which is kinda nice, lol) and now they're mine. I think she's more into the thrill of buying them on sale than she is actually owning a dozen pair of shoes.

Oh, I've also started to actually like scarves. I'm hoping to learn knitting so I can make some that match some clothes that I have (I've found matching scarves, but I'm NOT paying $18 for each one!) So if I'm lucky, I can find someone to barter their yarns (alpaca? One can hope) to keep costs down even further.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I try to keep nice cloths sperate from cloths I wear to work/clean around the home. I alway tear stuff or get bleach on it. There used to be a thift store where I could get cloths for 50 cents on monday,but they closed suddenly so I don't know where to buy. Goodwill and Salvation army are expensive in comparison,and the cloths isn't all that nice. I rarely buy cloths from the store. Socks,undies,and shoes I will get new. I suppose garage sales are good,but I haven't been to one in ages.

I will have to keep looking till I find a decent thrift store again.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you people would love the chraleston goodwill........

its by the pound....................1.49 a pound

i go get everything and anything that i see i want cause i can get a 30 gallon bag for around 35.00

i get him every pair of levis i see i get every piece of carhardt

i get 7 kids' clothes their throughtout the year.

this goodwill i even got a 200.00 pair of jeans for about 1.50 sold them on ebay for 96.00

i so love my goodwill. shoes are even better they are .79 a pound

and the comforters quilt blankets oh my............got an entire pier 1 comforter set with shams for 3.00 super gorgeous sage green silk. and even better got a world market blanket once with all jaquard fabric about 3 inches thick.

there are a few of these pound store goodwills throughout the u.s. you might want to check it out.

AND BEST YET.........IT SEEMS THIS IS THE DROP OFF LOCATION FOR WHEN STORES CANT SELL THE REST OF THE OUT OF SEASON. SOMETIMES YOU GO IN AND 1/2 OF THE CLOTHES STILL HAVE THE TAGS.. IM LOOKING AT AN 80.00 DRESS FROM JCPENNEY RIGHT NOW THAT I GOT FOR ABOUT 2.00 NEW WITH THE TAGS.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
by the pound? huh I had never seen it sold that way

and WOW WOW on those jeans sales. what a profit!!! big time

you sure now how to turn something into a profit :lol:

our goodwills are useless here. musty old stores, stinky, clothes are truly 'used' cause most have the pilly look for the fabric, stains no one can get out.
our goodwills show my area.....not alot of money in this area for sure lol

you know I have to drive into the Charlotte goodwill one day to take a look. not up that way much but next time I head in that direction I will know where goodwill is and make a stop just to see if the Charlotte people dress better and more expensive LOL

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
this store i speak of doesnt hang anything up.

they have so many clothes they just throw them on table and you search through them

the tables are the size of about 3 or 4 dining room tables.

AND THEY CHANGE THE CLOTHES ON THE TABLE EVERY SINGLE DAY. ALL 25 TABLES

FarmerChick said:
by the pound? huh I had never seen it sold that way

and WOW WOW on those jeans sales. what a profit!!! big time

you sure now how to turn something into a profit :lol:

our goodwills are useless here. musty old stores, stinky, clothes are truly 'used' cause most have the pilly look for the fabric, stains no one can get out.
our goodwills show my area.....not alot of money in this area for sure lol

you know I have to drive into the Charlotte goodwill one day to take a look. not up that way much but next time I head in that direction I will know where goodwill is and make a stop just to see if the Charlotte people dress better and more expensive LOL

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
If you go to the right areas of Charlotte, yes, the store will be better. It is just going to depend on where you are coming from and where you're willing to drive. Where I grew up in South Charlotte things were pretty cushy and fancy, so the goodwills are much better (as are just about every other second hand store of any kind!)