Stolen Cards

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think it's common sense. The number IS the card, or what the card represents.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I thought it was common knowledge. I was stunned when I used my debit card at Borders the other day and I didn't have to put in my PIN or sign anywhere. I questioned it and was told because the purchase was under $20 I didn't need to. So I could have dropped my card and anyone could have used it for a purchase under $20??

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, that should be common knowledge.

I was just talking to a lady a little while ago about her stolen card. She said she went to get change at the car wash and didn't lock her car. When she got back to the car, everything was fine and hadn't been touched so she washed her car and went home.

She said she got a phone call from a lady at Sears and she wanted to know if she had her Discover card. She said she did. The lady asked her to go check. She checked and everything was in her wallet the way it was except for her Discover card. Apparently while she was getting change, the guy went through her wallet, got only this card and went directly to Sears. Apparently they have some bonus program or something there with the discover card.

She said the last thing she heard on the phone was the lady screaming "CATCH HIM!!! HE'S RUNNING OUT OF THE STORE!!! CLICK"

Yeah, the lady at the counter knew the man's name wasn't NANCY and he shouldn't have been using the card, so she looked her up in the phone book and called her.

This guy also called this lady the next day and told her he would return the card to her if she paid him a reward.

The GALL!!!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Greetings my naive friends,
While I am one of you, I am NOW not quite as naive as I had been a few days ago on this topic.

The credit card theft issue has now become so highly technical that thieves have a way of using a device to read your credit card while it is still in your wallet! Yes, I know this sounds a bit far fetched but I got a call and the company let me know that someone in Florida was calling Jamaica with my cell phone number from my TRUCK!? How they captured the information to use my cellphone number in my truck (which I rarely use) is beyond me.

The company also told me that the thief was able to read credit card numbers because of the magnetic data on the strip on the back and if I put my credit cards inside my wallet with aluminum foil wrapped around them (a Faraday cage) then my credit card would NOT be vulnerable to the current high tech theft issue.

Needless to say, I complied with their recommendation and have that foil in part of my wallet so that my credit card(one) is protected.

What next? Can't we just catch them and shoot them or at least cut off their hands so they won't steal again?
I'm really tired of this uncontrollable crime wave against which honest citizens have no defense.

PRIORITY: URGENT
1808_images.jpeg

Trim sends
//bt//

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't stand thieves! Whether they steal property or money or your identity. :somad

12 years ago, I was almost arrested in the grocery store when I checked out. The cashier said the card I was using was reported stolen and I had to prove, several time to her, the manager and a police officer that I was the rightful card holder. Come to find out a teller at our branch reported my card stolen and requested a new one be sent to her address!! She was caught, fired and prosecuted!!

Thieves...ugh!! :somad I'd choose the Queen of Heart's method...off with their heads!!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Somebody got my card number on my old banks checkcard once. I didn't find out till things started bouncing. I still had my card but they probably stole the number from a stores records or an electronic info grabber.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I once had a roommate who took my cc number. Thankfully the bank called me before charges went through because I knew the tellers very well and they knew there's no way I'd purchased an expensive sound system (was a single mom of a toddler at the time).

Will wrap my cc and dcs in foil when i'm done here.

good thread.