store bought organic vinegar ?

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i am clueless to vinegar and i might sound crazy but im sick of buying like 3 bottles of vinegar at $4 a pop every week

so the ? is if i take one bottle and split it into 2 bottles and add water will the water that i add also turn into vinegar or will i just have 2 less strong bottles of vinegar than when i started

these bottles say it has the mother and its organic

or do i need to add apple puree

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Water only dilutes- it doesn't have anything to feed the culture that makes the vinegar. Add apple cider to it and you can make your own! Mine is great, if I do say so myself. :D

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
is apple cider sold at the store?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I bought unfiltered, but pasturized (required, I think) apple cider from the farm down the road from me. I'm sure you can get it in the store.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I order Bragg's Organic Apple Cider vinegar off of Amazon.com by the gallon for 15.00 including shipping.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
i am clueless to vinegar and i might sound crazy but im sick of buying like 3 bottles of vinegar at $4 a pop every week

so the ? is if i take one bottle and split it into 2 bottles and add water will the water that i add also turn into vinegar or will i just have 2 less strong bottles of vinegar than when i started

What you really need to add is Apple cider or apple juice. Juice is highly filtered, cider has more of the pulp. Both are required to be pasturized in most states and juice usually has preservatives added. It is getting hard to find apple cider that doesn't have preservatives, buying from the orchard is the answer and once they get to know you, you may score some unpasturized cider. (sort of like trying to buy raw milk in the states where it is illegal) When I want to do vinegar pickles I buy the gallon or larger size ACV and keep the good stuff for uses where taste is more important.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
elijahboy said:

What you really need to add is Apple cider or apple juice. Juice is highly filtered, cider has more of the pulp. Both are required to be pasturized in most states and juice usually has preservatives added. It is getting hard to find apple cider that doesn't have preservatives, buying from the orchard is the answer and once they get to know you, you may score some unpasturized cider. (sort of like trying to buy raw milk in the states where it is illegal) When I want to do vinegar pickles I buy the gallon or larger size ACV and keep the good stuff for uses where taste is more important.
~gd - possibly this isn't an issue for you, but in my experience the gallon jugs of ACV at the supermarket are most likely "Apple Flavored White Vinegar", which is why I started making my own. As I have stated on other vinegar threads, if one can obtain, or make, some (even only a little) unpastuerized vinegar (preferably, but not necessarily, with the "mother") it is an easy, though time consuming task to continue the process. Natural vinegar, when added to pastuerized juice, will innoculate the juice with the good bacteria and produce more vinegar.

Latest posts