Stories of an Odd Duck: Feeling reflective =)

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just feeling a bit reflective today, and wanted to list some things I miss and don't miss in regards to now being an apartment dweller after home ownership. Feel free to share your thoughts!

Things I miss:
-Not worrying about the carpet/security deposit! (dog had an accident yesterday <sigh>)
-Puttering in my gardens deadheading and gathering veggies
-The chickens!!
-Knowing that I could do some of the neat projects I found online, here, or thought of myself
-Having space to put things
-Knowing where all my things were
-Composting
-Not having immediate neighbors, so if the baby is throwing a fit at 3am, I don't have to worry.

Things I don't miss:
-Mowing/edging the lawn every week
-Feeling overwhelmed when I couldn't get to certain projects
-Job hunting
-Having to clean the whole house!
-Dog hair tumbleweeds
-The war against weeds/fighting off the swamp foliage's campaign for reclamation of my yard/gardens

I think in our next house I would like to have property for goats, chickens, a huge garden, etc - but not have a huge yard to tend. I would like to live somewhere with lots of sun, and perhaps some woods, but no swampland immediately near. I want the house to be in decent shape, maybe only needing some inside paint or other small things... no unfinished rooms, crappy gutters, or weird areas that make you wonder what the previous owner was thinking. Ideally, the field grass wouldn't get to be 6ft tall when left to it's own devices/critters. I'd like semi-decent soil at least... not clay or sand or stuff that gets hard as rock when the rain stops. I want to live in a place that's rural, but where folks don't judge others. I want to not have to lock my doors, even if we do anyway. I want my son to be able to grow up strong, safe, and not be afraid to raise a little cane or bleed when needed, but know enough to not let his mama's find out about it... as far as he knows! ;) Most of all, I don't want a "for now" house, I want a "forever" home.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't the 'dog hair tumbleweeds' follow you where ever you go?! :lol:

I seriously quit trying to get my wants met with our house years ago :p DH is pretty handy so, when I come across a stupid HUH? situation, he'll fix it for me - eventually :p DH also points out that my wants are WAY too expensive! :lol:

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Technically, I suppose the tumbleweeds to follow me. Though now we have a bunch of carpeting, so they aren't so apparent!!:D Though that does mean that I vaccuum, but you'd never know it! :lol:

The wants are ALWAYS too expensive!

Living in an apartment has a funny way of changing our Wants. Now we just want outlets that aren't dangerously loose! I put in a maintenance request for some other things about a week or so ago, and haven't heard a thing. The spouse has decided to replace the outlets ourselves under the radar - BEFORE the baby electrocutes himself! I should tell them that, as past homeowners of a rather SS type, they need to get to our requests before we just do it ourselves! ;)

Latest posts