storing baked goods?

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I want to make pies and cupcakes and such things for Christmas gifts. I'm just not sure how to store them so that they will be good when it is time to hand them out. Any suggestions?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Most of those things don't have a real long shelf life. You might want to consider just packaging the ingredients into seperate containers along with instructions and giving them in a basket.
Or you are going to be really busy during the week of Christmas baking.
It will be interesting to see the response here. I sure could use some ideas myself.

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had thought about the option of packing them into jars like those cookies in a jar idea. But then the thought occured to me that not a whole of people who get these gifts are actually going to make them themselves. Most of them are on the lazy side. Maybe if I got all the dry ingredients together for myself so that all I need to do is add the liquids? Perhaps that would help? I don't know :(

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You can freeze cookies, cupcakes, pies, cakes, and have them in decent shape when they thaw, if you have freezer space and really have to (and don't ice anything! ice them after thoroughly thawing, just before giving!)... but it won't be as good as fresh-baked.

If giving 'mixes' you make by putting the dry ingredients into jars isn't an option, I'm afraid I can't think of anything else, other than a huge whirlwind of baking just before christmas (I doubt that premix ing the dry ingredients for yourself would save you much time) or simply thinking fo something else to give.

What about candied citrus peel? It keeps in good shape for a couple weeks for me, and you can make it in enormous batches, and it is a little bit unusual these days.

Good luck, have fun, boy I oughta start thinking about christmas presents too I guess huh :p,

Pat

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What is candied citrus peel? It sounds good. I started thinking about it becasue my SIL sent an e-vite :smack so I asked her what I should bring. She wants three or for pies. Last Christmas I had a card table over flowing with desserts and part of another table. I over did myself. So this time I figured I would ask. I just get tired of all the store bought stuff when I have the time to make the stuff from scratch and it tastes so much better. I guess I better get myself super organized before the holidays then so that I'll be ready for the non stop baking :th

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Basically it's when you take the peel of a (preferably organic) lemon or orange or whatever (pommelo is especially good IMHO although you won't find 'em organic), simmer it in water for a little while to remove the bitterness and soften it, discard water, cut rind into strips, and cook in a sugar syrup til it is done; then cool and drain very well, roll in sugar and let dry on rack. (That wasn't intended as recipe, just to give you an idea what it is).

It's really good as a snack/candy type thing, or you can use it in fruitcake or whatever (it's what some of those nasty mysterious colored thingies used to be, back in the dim mists of time)

I'll try to post a recipe for you tomorrow.

Pat

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I agree with others, those items just do not store well. I can tell you that if you want to do cookies, you can make the dough and freeze it in cookie sized scoops on a cookie sheet, then bag up. When you are ready to bake, just plop them on a cookie sheet and the come out fresh baked with out the mess.
Not quite what you were looking for I know!

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I guess the frezzing of the cookies would save some time . At least then the pre part would be done already. I think I have come to terms with the crazy baking during the week of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Thanks for all your help everyone. I am going to give the cookie dough a try though. Thanks again

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I'm not a baker myself but a lot of cookies such as short bread (I love cardomen short bread) last well simply in a tin. Also my Mom used to make liebkuchen, a spicey cookie, which actually had to age about a month to be really good. That was very popular at home. And there are lots of recipes for it around.
I imagine that there are other, old fashioned cookies that were actually a way of preserving good things before refridgeration was common.
Most candies last well- then their is the infamous friut cake- you know, the home made version of the one that was made in 1902 and still ciculates today? :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Actually fruitcake is a good idea -- I could dig up my "golden fruitcake" recipe if you want, it is quite tasty -- as long as you do not hang around with a buncha people to whom it's too much of a joke to be considered as something to EAT :)

My recipe is one of the NON brandy-or-rum-soaked kind, but I'm sure it could be converted if a person wanted. It needs to age for about a month in the fridge to let the moisture and flavors distribute.

Let me know if you're interested,

Pat

Latest posts