Storing Canned Goods in a Root Cellar

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone do this? I am thinking of home canned goods, and dry goods stored in gamma seal buckets*, in a freestanding underground root cellar in a Zone 3 climate. Basically like an outdoor pantry, as we are considering moving to a small place with no pantries. We have two pantries here, and I can't really see us going without, especially 25 miles from town.

I think if we dig it deep enough, we'll be okay, but I would rather learn from others' mistakes when possible. :p

*as well as cheese, wine/beer, smoked/salted meats, apples, and root vegetables, of course

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sounds good but I wouldnt put root crops in gamma buckets because they need air. Without air I think they can rot. I dont know about cheese or meat thought..... :hu

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes.

I'm sorry, that was clumsy. Let me try again.

If we build a freestanding root cellar, possibly with 3-4 rooms, and we store the following stuff in there, would it keep well?

Gamma seals: oats, flour, sugar, wheat berries, rice, baking soda, dog food, cat food.
Pressure canned mason jars: fruits, vegetables, soups, jams, sauces
Vac sealed mason jars: coffee, spices, dried herbs, dry beans, baking ingredients.
Bushel baskets: potatoes, turnips, parsnips, carrots, rutabagas
Brown paper bags: green tomatoes, apples
Braids: garlic, onions, sausages
Wax: cheese
Bottles: wine, beer, mead

SD Farm Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Leta,
I'm a great fan of Gamma Lids and store all my dry goods in Vittle Vaults. They are usually on sale online at Pet Smart and I just wait until there is a sale and they have free shipping. They are intended for pet food but are airtight and come in huge sizes or stackable models. Rice, pasta, dried beans, oatmeal, sugar (white and brown) and grains keep very well in them and the lids make it so easy to get into them with only one hand. I have used things that have been in there for over a year and it still tastes like I just bought it.

I also vac seal bags of spices, herbal teas, etc. and just put the bags all in a vittle vault and the flavors don't spread between packages.

I think you have a great idea for what you will store and how to store it.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I get FREE food grade buckets form Kroger and Walmart bakeries when we go use them for feeds, scraps, junk, and pantry stuff. Very handy!

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Those vittle vaults are cool.

It's nice that people known what I'm talking about when I mention gamma seal lids. I confuse people a lot. :lol:

I was thinking that we might need some more 1 gallon glass jars for the regular kitchen, but other than that this would capitalize on stuff we already have. We'd just have to go out a couple times a week to refill our jars and get more TP. And I think it would be a heckuva lot cheaper than adding on.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We always stored our home canned jars of food in our cellars. Just remember to remove the rings before storing to prevent rusting.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Someone I know is making a outside storage vault using straw bales with some type of plaster/cement/mortar waterproofing on the outside surface. He claims the system has been proven in the midwest for human housing. he was asking me what he should do for a extrance. The best I could come up with was an exterior door on the outside and a foam plug after that. Any comments?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Is he talking about a straw bale structure covered with cob? Straw bale and cob houses are becoming approved in more and more states as being up to code, so this could be what he is referring to. I don't see any difficulty with what you describe,"exterior door on the outside and a foam plug after that". The cellar I have been using for the past 5 years had just such a design.