Storing seeds and viability

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I saw some mentions of viability of older seeds elsewhere on the forum and I just mentioned on NH Homesteader's thread, it brings to mind the old saying "One year's weeds, seven years' seeds". How long does seed stay viable and what would be the best way to store them long term?

I never stored seeds long term, as I tend to take at least some from the end of the garden's crops when I grow stuff. Otherwise I bought some from the shop and shared most of what I didn't use within two years with another gardener. Any seeds stored went into little plastic bags and stored in a cool(ish) dark place.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My father has started bean seeds that my grandfather had put in the freezer for several years (not sure how long). Don't remember what the viability was, but I think it's wasn't too bad.

I try to keep my seeds in a cool room or in the fridge, but over the years they haven't always gotten an optimum location.

I've had some seeds that have germinated surprisingly well after years of storage, and some that had 0% germination. I think the main issue is that you don't necessarily want to take the risk if you're trying to be efficient with your gardening.

There are a lot of charts available online for guidelines regarding seed viability. But they're only guides; if you have the space and time you might be surprised what grows!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've found the best long time storage to be vacuum sealing the seeds and putting them in the freezer. I haven't tested onion or spinach seeds that way yet (they have the shortest viability period), but everything else seems to work well for years. I end up being gifted with seeds on a regular basis that I haven't room for in the garden, but I like trying to save them for future gardens.