Strange way to crack corn

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I needed to crack some corn because my keets can't eat whole kernel. I got out the mill, but DH wanted to try something new.......we just got a wood chipper/shreader. He decided to run it through....well, it worked, but there was a cloud of powder all around. Who would have thunk it?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow! I would have never thought of trying that but thanks for sharing, Rhoda! :hugs

We'll be dragging out our small chipper/shredder tomorrow for leaves. Looking forward to it as I've been using them in the rabbits' poop trays but dread the dust! :th

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good idea. Don't breath that stuff, though. It's bad for you.

I've thought of that for other stuff, like making applesauce. My chipper isn't food grade, so I decided against it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Oh the ideas popping in my head right now.......

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, it did a fair job, but next time, it will be done with the mill. Too many uncracked kernals. Guess it would have been fine if I had big and little birds, all mixed up though. The evidence of our crime is still on the chipper. One of our little ones, wrote their name in the white dust.
Believe me, we were looking all around before we started pouring, making sure no one was looking.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh where, Oh where is the youtube video of THAT one?? :lol:

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been using my pellet machine to do a bunch of things with corn, wheat, grass, etc. It makes really great pellets that the chicken seems to like and if she doesn't, I can burn them in my stove....:lol: :lol:
Trim sends