Strawberries every where

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just got a bunch of FREE strawberries! They wont stay good for to much longer though so I need to make stuff with them. Last night I made strawberry cupcakes, SO GOOD!

I want to try my hand at making Preserves or Jam any one have any recipies??? Or other great idea on things to make with all these berries.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The best strawberry jam: It tastes all fresh and delish
2 pounds fresh strawberries
4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
In a wide bowl, crush strawberries in batches until you have 4 cups of mashed berry. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, mix together the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 220 degrees F (105 degrees C). Transfer to hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch headspace, and seal. Process any unsealed jars in a water bath. If the jam is going to be eaten right away, don't bother with processing, and just refrigerate.

You can check the jelling on it (before you put it in jars) by pouring a little on a cold plate. Pop in the freezer for a minute and then run your finger through it. If it leaves a clean line, its ready, if not boil it a little longer.

I :love strawberries, I wish I could get some free ones... :hit

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I always get Sure-Jell or equivalent and then use the recipe for freezer jam. It really preserves the fresh flavor!

Another easy favorite is simply sliced berries with some sugar, probably about 3 T per quart of sliced berries. We freeze this in freezer containers and then enjoy all winter on yogurt, waffles, pancakes, crepes, etc. Enjoy!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I dry our strawberries in the dehydrator, then use in my own granola or muesli all winter.
I make a strawberry vinaigrette to go over a strawberry spinach salad.

If I get as many as last year, I'd like to juice them and and add to other fruit juice(elderberry, blueberry, cherry) to freeze for smoothies. I buy the extremely pricey "Very Berry" and am convinced I can make something similar.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sylvie reminded me---Strawberry Daiquiris. I have a blender full of frozen strawberries. Then, I dump in half can of frozen limeade concentrate and 1 full can of water. Blend until smooth. Very good with tacos!

How about crisp with rhubarb?

I also make strawberry syrup that I freeze. Basically, I use a freezer jam recipe but double the strawberries used with the Sure-Jell. It is SO good in the middle of winter :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I freeze extra strawberries on a cookie sheet, and then put them in a freezer bag. they will keep all winter. we use them for fruit smoothies all winter long.

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You are almost half way there.... You just need to find someone with rhubarb, and then you make jam! I just cracked open another pint to top off an english muffin tonight.

Then you have strawberry-rhubarb pie, and oh the list goes on!