Strawberry syrup to wine project.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, so I don't know if its just my recipe but when I make strawberry preserves (the no pectin recipe) I almost always have about 3 pints of strawberry syrup leftover. In the past I have just reprocessed it with pectin for a reasonable strawberry jelly. Not this time. I have strawberry jelly coming out of my ears, since everyone fusses when we are out of preserves, so I make more. Several jars are going into holiday breakfast baskets. Thanks to the Holiday gifts thread, we are totally doing that!

So, here is what I have done...3/4 gallon spring water and a pint of strawberry syrup. I added a mead yeast, since thats all I keep around these days, with a splash of lemon juice for acid and a splash of strong tea for tannin. I did this two days ago. I prefer the slow fermentation methods, so I did not mix the syrup and water. I just let the yeast eat it up at will. I just had to add another pint of syrup and nearly ended up with a very sticky volcano :rolleyes: I should know better by now :lol:

Its cold and raining out and I am just dying to spice it. Even though it won't be drinkable till spring. I was considering the tiniest bit of mint.. thoughts?

deenamr

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That sounds so yummy. This was my first year having berries and wine is definately in the plan as berry production increases. This spring we fenced a large area to keep the deer out and planted 32 dwarf fruit trees, 10 bluberries, 2 raised beds of strawberries, 15 raspberries, 12 blackberries and 10 grapevines. When I was young my mom would make raspberry wine and I have been wanting to give it a try. I am sure your will be so delicious - hard to wait for it to be ready.