Striving for self sufficiency in Kansas

LaurenRitz

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am a writing obsessed gardener (reverse that in the winter) currently building a homestead on 3 acres in Kansas.

I am in the process of setting up the property with a soil water bank, food forests, and gardens.

Into the second generation of creating a chicken landrace, while constantly forgetting what I have on the stove and dealing with priority paralysis.

With limited funds I am repurposing what I can. The eventual goal is no cullinary water use outside the house and provide all food for any animals as well as most of my own food. (I have yet to find a decent recipe for Oreos, but make my own Mounds bars.)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hello & welcome. Is there a house on the property & you live there? That's a start. 😁 Raising your own food can be easy or not -- depends on ground to garden, your tools and your ability to work. It is work. Then consider preservation methods. If you still work, that always seems to get in the way of most everything except your wallet.

Lots of good people here, with experience & they share. Most garden, many raise animals for milk & meat. So jump right into the herd. Welcome from VA.

Love mounds....Oreos scraped free of filling only. The thins aren't too awful.

LaurenRitz

Power Conserver
Reaction score
House on the property and recently finished the 2nd chicken coops. First greenhoise up but I'm trying to clear out the mice. Water catchment is in place but not yet plumbed.

Still working on wood chips for the first garden, 2nd garden is partially planted.

I work from home, which makes things much simpler.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
welcome from mid-Michigan. :)

being somewhat differently abled i have to plan and pace myself for almost everything but i still manage to get most things done (and the heck with the rest...). plus i really hate having to do things twice (or more times) - but that is also what learning is about...