Stuff you had no clue was edible...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Sweet potato leaves and shoots!
I was going to throw out extra slips but out of curiosity goggled sweet potato leaves. Turns out they are a highly nutritious food! Going to have to try and cook some now :D

YOUR TURN!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Probably not exactly what you are looking for but I just discovered last night after looking at all the carrot greens and wonderding what I could do with them, they are actually edible (but bitter). Lots of vitamins and medicinal as well.
Some people are highly allergic so use caution. They can cause a serious allergic reaction much like peanuts for people who are allergic.
Chewing the raw greens help with mouth ulcers.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Feta! Homemade is SOOOO different from storebought! :lol:

I never knew poke weed was edible until recently, but I missed this year again with the excitement of kidding. There is such a small window of opportunity to harvest it. I did give up trying to eradicate it, though, and will eat some eventually!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
You didn't think Feta was edible?

Well, I was thinking more of non-common foods, but you do have a point about homemade vs commercial! :gig

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow Ground elder......!! :frow

You cook the leaves like spinach or kale & eat with lots of butter.........!!! :rolleyes:

:) Hattie :)

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bull Thistle - even tho tiny and hard to get to cus of the thorns, the inside is like a artichoke heart. They grow wild around here.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Feta! Homemade is SOOOO different from storebought! :lol:

I never knew poke weed was edible until recently, but I missed this year again with the excitement of kidding. There is such a small window of opportunity to harvest it. I did give up trying to eradicate it, though, and will eat some eventually!
I have poke weeds frozen in the firdge for later. :) Just make sure you cook'em right!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I had been giving the hail damaged leaves to the ducks. I will be saving the nice new ones for salads.

Also violet flowers. Never thought to use those as an edible. But now that I have a nice volunteer plant in the front garden bed, I have been adding them to my greens.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
A friend made violet jelly this year and we got some. It is really good, but takes a lot of violets! They grow wild in our lawn. I still haven't tried dandilion leaves- the chickens get all of those that the horses don't eat. It's hard keeping dandilions in the lawn around here!

I don't think I would be comfortable with Pokeweed- it is pretty toxic stuff :ep Atropine poisoning isn't fun.