Stuffy nose, blocked sinuses? Irrigate

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I find lots of hot pepper in food helps. As in -- as hot as you can stand it.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Cassandra,
nasal irrigation isn't so "in" in the USA, but has been around for oh so long elsewhere, good for you for looking around! We have a NETI pot, it looks like a small tea pot for doing the irrigation. It is not unpleasant at all. It is really good for allergies. Today I have been really clogged with a nasty cold. I rarely ever get sick, once every three or four years on average, and this is not nice. I poured the water from the pot and only a few drops came through.... no room for even the water. I think the natural gravity action of a NETI pot would be better than a syringe or bulb, there is not much pressure of the water entering the cavities.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have irrigated for years now. I have had sinus problems for a looong time. I only irrigate when absolutely necessary. I make my own solution and keep it in a container in the bathroom. It truly is the best thing for sinus problems but don't overdo it or you can become dependent on it. Also, the nasal strips do help alot too, for when you ar too congestd to sleep.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is interesting cassandra. I can see how this would help. I am so lucky I dont really get stuffed sinuses. I might for a day or two but it goes away pretty quickly.
I will tell you what I do that is similar to this (kinda). We heat with wood. Every one knows how dry winter is. Combine the dryness of wood heat and the dryness of winter.....WOW really dry nasal passages. Sometimes bloody nasal passages from all the dryness. When I get into the shower, I carefully sniff the spray into my nasal passages. This really helps me combat that dryness.