Stupid Chickens and Ducks!!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
We have two coops in one large pen. The two ducks are outside huddled together by themselves. The BJG's are in the small coop all huddled up that does not have a heat light and is drafty. One chicken that I think is a cinnamon queen is in the good heated coop!! I just sent 13 yo out to shut the door on the heated coop to help them stay warmer and that is how he found them.

Should we put the ducks in and move all the BJGs to the heated coop?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
PP - how cold is it? I would move mine but then - I put heat lamps in there when it gets down to the mid 30's. DH says I am way to anal about the whole thing. LOL

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
-10 colder with the windchill...I think -25F.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would move them all asap! You don't want frostbite on their combs & wattles.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Pam, Personally I would put them in together tonight somewhere not drafty. Their collective body heat will help keep them somewhat warm. In our old barn it is 15 right now; outside -20 with wind chill, and supposed to get colder. We're changing out waterers every 4 hours. Not Fun.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
What is so weird about it is I thought they always stayed in the big heated coop. You can see them in there from the house but on the COLDEST night of the year they went to the other coop and the ducks stayed outside! Makes no sense!

I told the boys they could wait until their show was over...in 15 minutes...and then they had to go out and move them all over and lock them in.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
They are all moved into the heated coop! The boys said the latch that holds the door open was frozen in place so they had to come in and get a hammer to knock it loose to shut the door.