"Sufficient Self" site recommendations/feedback

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I like this site Nifty, it has past BYCows and is almost close to TEG.
I have noticed that BYChickens (which I realise is VERY large, almost too large :/) has an actual site http://www.backyardchickens.com/

TEG (which has a couple hundred more than SS) has a website
http://www.theeasygarden.com/

I was wondering if we could ever get one for SS.
Like:
easy self sufficient projects
self sufficient tips & tools
some of the important threads' info in a specific place A.K.A. Learning Center!
As well as advertise for this forum.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I'm not sure what ticks actually means- maybe too computer dumb but I would really like to see more meat. Alsmost every post is 1) an opinion about politics or something like that, 2) a complaint or 3) a personal problem.
No longer do I get good ideas or useful information. I would love to get back to the original threads- how to do something cheaper, greener or easier.
I hardly ever post anymore and find myself coming less and less. But I do miss the old info.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Ticks means either..

It's not necessarily something I might want to see.. but BYC has 'Golden Feather Membership', is SS ever going to have some sort of membership, when we get bigger? I think I'd be too cheap to get one.. but still. :rolleyes:
I realize that there is not a ton of need for one now as there aren't tons of people on here.

Now that I think of it, I think he means an actual webpage, besides the forums. Like BYC has the learning center, etc.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I know what Ticks is saying... lemme see if I can help explain better:

If you go to www.Backyardchickens.com you will land directly onto the content portion of the site with articles, information, pictures, how-to's, and of course a forum. :)

If you go to www.TheEasyGarden.com you will land directly onto a similar setup, a content site with articles, information, and yes, a forum.

Right now www.SufficientSelf.com is just a forum.

Does that make sense?

We've been working on getting a content site developed for SS, but it involves quite a bit of design work and program installation to get it setup and working properly... and then there is the hard part, getting good articles and content written. :D

We also run into the same problem at TEG: Not enough new articles. So, we've been tossing around an idea: To have contests or rewards for people that write good, relevant, quality articles for us to post on the sites.

So, what do y'all think?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Nifty, I think a contest to drum up some article type content would be an excellent idea.

enjoy the ride said:
Alsmost every post is 1) an opinion about politics or something like that, 2) a complaint or 3) a personal problem. No longer do I get good ideas or useful information. I would love to get back to the original threads- how to do something cheaper, greener or easier.
Ditto x 100

Pat

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Nifty said:
We also run into the same problem at TEG: Not enough new articles. So, we've been tossing around an idea: To have contests or rewards for people that write good, relevant, quality articles for us to post on the sites.

So, what do y'all think?
I haven't been over to TEG yet, but have been thinking about it. I was just wondering...there is a ton of info already out there on gardening, couldn't you just provide links to some of the articles already out there? Have users submit topics they want more information on, then go link to stuff already there? There are tons of people with that information already too, so I suppose contests would work too, but then you run into the problem of plagarism.

However, I think having content, articles, etc., instead of just the forum is a great idea. Then those of us out there who are really just looking for information without all the contentious posts will be able to find it.