Summer Activities

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just an idea, it's a fun thing to do, but can also be educational. Give your kids the Morse code on a card. Then, have clues on other cards that they have to figure out. This would lead them to another clue, etc. You can also do spelling words in Morse code, they have to figure out the word.
This sounds like a fun idea Deb. The kids had a set of walkie talkies with morse code on them (they are no longer with us; the boys left them in the grass and the lawn mower ate them), and they thought it was really cool to use morse code.

I made a simple goal for the kids last night to earn a backyard campout. They have to earn 8 points by Friday morning to earn the campout. They get one point for: doing a chore, doing some math/reading, or good behavior/good deeds. This is just a starting point to see how it goes; I work part-time M-Th, and with the kids being in soccer right now, this is the amount I thought we would have time for in the evenings.

I was looking online for ideas on how many chores and what types of chores other people have their kids do, and I'm a little puzzled by what some people consider to be a chore. I don't count "making your bed," "getting dressed" or "brushing your teeth" as chores, though I noticed a lot of chore charts I found online include those. To me, that is just taking care of yourself. The kids are expected to keep their rooms and bodies clean because that is their personal responsibility. Chores to me are washing dishes, dusting, laundry, feeding pets, etc. In other words, work that is done to benefit the whole family, not just themselves. But maybe some people have trouble getting their kids to do those things, so that's why they include them as chores. I just know I never got allowance for brushing my teeth when I was a kid! :p

So last night, the kids were folding laundry together, a load of sheets. An argument errupts because they've got the sheet twisted, and neither of them is willing to unfold their end to get it turned the right way. I stay cool, and calm (even though I feel like yelling at them :barnie , it's something I'm working on) and tell them that arguing will result in a point being taken away. So all their work will not be counted toward their goal if they continue arguing. And that was it. They stopped. They must really want to have a campout. I was so proud of them! :love They finished folding, and then my oldest helped me make dinner. After dinner, my youngest wiped down the dinner table and stove for his second chore of the day. And then--this is the best part--my oldest son offered to dust so that he could get more chores done. So far, this is working out beautifuly. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I used to have a book called, Do I Have To? It talked about chores for children, and what was appropriate for different ages.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
That chore idea sounds great! And Deb, that book sounds like one I need for the stepkids. It's tough when they don't have to do anything at their Mom's (that's a whole other subject-not going there!) so when they come here and have to do chores they think we make them do "all the work." They're 8 and almost-6 and they have to do things like help unload the dishwasher (by working together), cleaning up stuff on the floor (like pieces of paper too big for the vacuum), folding their laundry, etc. They're with us 50% of the time, and darn right they're going to contribute! We've heard grumblings like we make them do all the work, we're like the stepmother from Cinderella, etc.

I really have issues with it but I try to keep my cool and explain that we all have to help out because we're part of a family, etc etc. They don't get it now, but I know they will someday.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'll have to see if I can find it. I don't think I got rid of it. Only problem being, I'll pull out books to send to people and put someplace so I can find them once I get the address. Then, I don't recall where I put the book. I owe one to someone on here already. :hide

Latest posts