Super easy pole beans. Video

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nice. I grew pole beans just one year. I planted them by the corn so I could use the stalks for support. It didn't work too well in this Kansas wind. This system looks pretty sturdy.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had some cucumber volunteers pop up in the corn patch this year. I wonder how thats gonna go.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've found several volunteers - haven't identified all of them yet. Except for the tomatoes - I know what they look like, lol. Have 3 or 4 of those, but I have no idea what kind they are :hu probably something I tossed out to the pig when he was living in there. Hope they turn out to be something we enjoy. :fl

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:yuckyuck I spotted some volunteer pumpkin seeds underneath a maple tree in front of our dining room window. "Someone", I'm not saying who, but follow my eyes, dumped the porch pumpkins there during the winter. Okay, they needed to be dumped before that, but you know how it goes.
Oh, I guess it could be turban pumpkin...blue pumpkin... or standard orange, jack-o-lantern. Ha! Guess we'll find out.

I just remembered seeing a picture somewhere that the gal had old step ladders planted in her garden for beans, cucumbers, etc to trail and climp on. Sounds pretty wonky, but it looked pretty neat.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When they grow they will counterclockwise. Just about everything in nature does, including water down the drain. Go with the flow when you help them climb. I use old scrap cedar from the saw mill they seem to like climbing rough cut wood, gives them something rough to climb.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had so much luck with those pole beans last year! (Thanks baymule!) This year i only planted half as much. I think we can get enough for the year off that one teepee.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
as I understand it, water at least reverses flow when you go southern hemisphere. No idea if the plants do the same thing. I think it has to do with the planet's rotation.