Super Tonic

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just learned of the Super Tonic which of course I will have to make now , So my question is has anyone ever tried it ? Does it work ? Etc comments are most appreciated.

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Apple Cider Vinegar, Onion , Horseradish, Ginger , Garlic , Hot Peppers ,

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I think I've seen that called Fire Cider. It sure has a cult following! I'm afraid of it. I saw some at the grocery store - it must be getting popular

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes it is known as fire cider as well

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
perhaps is goes by the fact that it burns so bad going down, it must be good for you? I've never used it, but have read tons of appraisals that say how well it works.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I first heard of fire tonic right here on SS. Years ago there were lots of folks who made it and swore by how wonderful it is. I copied the recipe from here: https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/fire-cider-tonic.11190/

Originally posted by Dawn419

In my opinion, no kitchen should be without fire cider!
This recipe has been credited to many different herbalists, including the late Dr. Christopher, and I've seen many variations of the recipe over the years.

I first learned it from Rosemary Gladstar back in the mid 90's.

Some folks steep this recipe for 2 weeks - others say 2 or 3 months. Personally, I find the flavor and strength I desire by steeping at least 8 weeks. However, if you need it sooner you may certainly use it after just several weeks.

For me Fire Cider is a tonic. I have always been drawn to the flavors of its ingredients and drink small amounts daily starting in the fall and all throughout the winter months.

This recipe is an inexpensive, effective way to treat or stave off colds & flus, and to break up congestion.

Some of the traditional benefits of Fire Cider's ingredients include:

Horseradish ~ The antibacterial properties of Horseradish have been used to fight bacteria. Horseradish strongly stimulates the digestion, increasing gastric secretions and appetite. It's also a good diuretic that promotes perspiration, making it useful in fevers, colds, and flu. Horseradish is also an expectorant and mildly antibiotic, and can be of use in both respiratory and urinary tract infections.

Ginger ~ is valued for its ability to warm the stomach, to ease vomiting & nausea and to fight off colds, chills and coughs. Ginger is useful for all types of congestion in the body.

Garlic ~ supports the immune function and opens the pores of the skin to lower a fever. This herb's antibacterial and antimicrobial properties make it useful in treating bladder and kidney infections , yeast infections , strep throats and ear infections.

Cayenne ~ is useful for increasing circulation and to get mucous flowing. This herb is an anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant. It is used as a digestive aid to stimulates gastric juices. Many people report relief from migraines with this herb as well.

How to Make Fire Cider

Ingredients

1 quart Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

1/2 cup Horseradish root grated

1/8 cup of Garlic chopped

1/2 cup of Onion chopped

1/2 cup of Ginger grated

1 tsp Cayenne

Directions

Place all ingredients in a quart jar and cover with Apple Cider Vinegar.

Cover tightly.

Steep for 8 weeks.

Strain into clean jar.

How to Use Your Fire Cider?

~ Rub into sore muscles and aching joints.

~ Soak a clean cloth in Fire Cider to place on a congested chest.

~ Drink it straight or diluted in a bit of water or tomato juice.Start out with a tsp or so to test your tolerance level.

~ Mix with a bit of honey to ease a cough.

Individual tolerance to the heat will vary so you and your familywill want to experiment with quantity.

Personally, I can drink a small shot glass at a time. Others will want only a few drops mixed with honey, or only topically. (I once knew a woman in her late 80's who snorted small amounts from a spoon to clean out her nasal passages!)

Enjoy!

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Apple Cider Vinegar, Onion , Horseradish, Ginger , Garlic , Hot Peppers ,
Onion, garlic, ginger, and horseradish are all anti-inflammatory and have an alkalinizing effect in the body, so are great to add to dishes that you're eating. Hot peppers are good for some people who are not sensitive to hot food or night shades.

Apple cider vinegar is the little god that can cure all things and everything, and can even tell your future ;).