Supply Chain Upheaval

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most people have too many clothes anyway. Professional shoppers that follow the trends and styles.
My style is blue jeans, T-shirt and tennis shoes. Pretty cheap, the latest in Farm Fashions!

other than not wearing tennis shoes that's about the same for me for most of my out and about wear (i like my crocs instead for shoes). i have plenty of clothes i rarely wear so i'm in no danger of going without. when i find some i like i buy extras because i don't know if they'll ever carry them again. i have a few extra pairs of new crocs to keep my feet happy and enough garden pants to keep me going out there for probably the rest of my life.

i've never been a big clothes shopper anyways. one nice thing about being a homebody is that i don't care much about how i look so i can wear the old grubby t-shirts that used to be my more formal out and about t-shirts. it still may take me ten to twenty years to wear out a t-shirt.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
while i'm not particularly fond of the leadership of China and several things they are doing i'm also not particularly fond of the leadership of the USoA or Europe either.
I have to agree with you on that. The leaders and politicians of various countries get elected or take over, gain power. It goes to their heads and they forget where they came from. Those that are born into their positions are even worse.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need to get a new pair of shoes. The footbed and sole are getting worn out. I've been happy with the Clarks, they've lasted 2.5 years and still look pretty new since I can polish them. Very nice for a slip on shoe. They don't put pressure on the bone spurs on the top of my foot like laced shoes.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Looks like we will experience shortages of general items for a year or more, and between fires, floods, drought, and hurricanes, a lot of crops have suffered. It's getting hard to separate the educated predictions from the fear-mongering. Panic buying has begun, while others stock a reasonable amount of essentials. It's interesting for sure. Not what I envisioned for SHTF, and I'm not convinced it will be that bad. I'm already needing to grow my pantry - it was smallest ever - and random shortages sure make it interesting.

is there a run on TP again?!?!!!! we're seeing a few things coming up short here or there but nothing we really need is missing when we need it. we're not big customers of overseas products nor do we really eat high on the hog so our most basic supplies are things like flour, sugar and other baking supplies plus whatever projects Mom wants to get into for cooking.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
uh, no...

U.S. gdp per capita for 2020 was $63,544
China gdp per capita for 2020 was $10,500

there's a lot wrong in the world these days, but it's not going to get fixed the way things are going now so i try to encourage people to work on things that actually do help for the longer term.
per capita doesn't have much to do with the filthy rich. It's a communist country. The leaders and top politicians are the filthy rich, not the per capita peons.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
per capita doesn't have much to do with the filthy rich. It's a communist country. The leaders and top politicians are the filthy rich, not the per capita peons.

uh, so filthy rich of leaders is defined as what then? compare that to the USoA for the same percentage of people (no matter what scale you decide upon). i'm pretty sure the filthy rich of the USoA are much richer than those in China. will be surprised if we aren't.

personally i think you have a twitch about certain subjects and topics which prevents you from looking at this from a wider perspective. while i'm not particularly fond of the leadership of China and several things they are doing i'm also not particularly fond of the leadership of the USoA or Europe either. i don't think war is inevitable between various countries - nothing to be gained and much more to be lost IMO.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I was feeling so clever about DH bypassing my oven's broiler feature. The glasstop cracked today! 😣 not great timing. DH wants to buy used, approx $200, I want new to get the bread proofing function, approx $900. Normally I compromise easily, especially with the price difference. I'm fed up with using a bread machine just for proofing. DH says just leave it on the counter. Yeah, except when the house is cold and it won't rise. I know I'm being silly, but he doesnt ever upgrade something that works so I'm stuck with the next oven until it breaks or DH goes to a nursing home. 🤣 we're not that old, that's 20 - 30 years away. 🤣

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can use a heating pad and towels in a pinch. My house gets too cold as well.

The feature would be well worth the price if you're making lots of bread

Latest posts