Support bar for top of run

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My flock would be hopping to the top of that and hopping right on out of the pen....yours doesn't attempt it?

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My flock would be hopping to the top of that and hopping right on out of the pen....yours doesn't attempt it?
The whole reason I want to put the bars there is to make the structure more sturdy and to put hardware cloth across the top, like with our other run section

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well.... In the famous words of Adam Sandler "that information would have been useful to me yesterday" as I already ordered some online.
Ha ha, sorry I was a day late!

My pen is basically the same as yours, except I made my top braces out of 2x4s, attached to the top with metal straps. It hadn't ocurred to me until I saw this thread that I could use kennel posts instead. I might upgrade mine, because your way looks stronger. (My turkeys roost on those supports.)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The whole reason I want to put the bars there is to make the structure more sturdy and to put hardware cloth across the top, like with our other run section

How about just using heat treated lumber and doing the same thing? That would end your search right away and give you good options for attachment to the fence and also to the hardware cloth.