SUPRISE!!!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Usually Momma hen comes out to stretch her legs, eat, drink & poop between 9 & 11am everyday. Friday (12th) was the official 21st day of her sitting & when we checked....nothing, we still had eggs. Saturday she didn't come out at all before I left for work @ 12:30. I wondered....hmmmm, is it possible??? I had checked on her a couple of times before I left & didn't see or hear anything (except her looking daggers at me :lol: ) This morning I go out to feed the others & check on her & brought her some food & water since she's still on the other side of the garage cause DH won't let me move em for a few more days.
Anyway, as I reach in with the food & water she of course starts her attack of pecking at me only this time with a bit more fervor. I noticed as she moved to get a better position of defense against me there were some tiny feet showing, then 2 (maybe 3) little beaks were looking at me.

WE GOT CHICKIE BABIES!!! :celebrate :weee :bun :ya

and I don't think she's done hatching yet! They are sooooooo cuuuuuuuute!

I made an emergency run to the feed store this morning cause I didn't want to buy any until I knew we had something to feed. The place that sells 'organic feed' was closed so I ended up at Del's & got non-medicated chick starter & a small waterer to atleast get them thru until I can get to the organic feed store again. I AM SOOOOOO EXCITED!

Ain't that the way of it?????? Just when you're about to throw in the towel & nearly give up SOMETHING really great happens that refuels your hope & determination.

I tried to get a pic & will post more later when she's not so fussy. It's hard to see in the pic, but the little yellow spot between Momma & the feeder is a chick butt :lol:

1275_babies.jpg

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks.....it's only taken us 2 years of trying to get a hen to go broody. Any other hens we've had have never shown any interest in sitting so we're really jazzed. And the hatching was timed perfectly....as in Friday I got rid of Arnie & Misty the two old meanies who were egg eaters & bullied everyone, even the dog. I understand about pecking order & that the more dominant ones will peck others into submission....that's a given. But these two took it to the extreme and I was afraid they'd possibly kill any chicks. I didn't do the deed :hide I gave them to a lady I work with.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
AWESOME!! :woot That little blurry chicky butt is SO KYOOOOOOOOT :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
YAY! congratulations!!

I didn't have a single broody this year - so I'm totally jealous!!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone...I've been so excited you'd almost think they were my babies not chickens sheesh

Wannabefree.....are ya sayin I'm a lousy photographer????? :lol: Actually you're right, me & camera's don't get along :D

Dragonlaurel....when I couldn't find the little black hen yesterday I began to wonder if she did maybe have a hidden nest somewhere. But so far she hasn't laid any eggs since she's been here (2ish months now?) that I know of. I've only seen her 'go thru the motions' of making her a spot on the ground under the nest box & sitting there for awhile, then leaving....but no egg produced. Besides she can't go broody right now....I don't have another 'nursery' for her so I tell her to 'keep it in your butt' :lol: (as if that would work)

We did get them moved today to the chick nursery and Momma & babies were NOT happy about it either. They have since settled down and will be fine. That was a big worry off my mind & now I can relax on that score. We have 8 chicks & so far 2 eggs didn't hatch out of the 10, but we'll give them a couple of more days just in case. Here's some more pics & hopefully better ones.

You can only see 7 of the chicks, 1 must be camera shy.

1275_babies_009.jpg

As you can probably tell, her choice of nesting places was rather inconvenient

1275_babies_001.jpg

In their new home...Here you can only see the one chick, the rest are under Momma

1275_babies_014.jpg

:love

Latest posts