Suture

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So over the weekend (Saturday) I sliced my finger with my scarry sharp pocket knife. I already know my bone was the only thing that prevented a self amputation :( the cut about 3 inches long and clear to the bone gushed bleed for hours even dispite that I tried my best to stop blood gusher with a bandages.

Today is Thursday and it's finally stopped bleeding completely. In hind sight I should really have had the deep cut sutured (stiched) but I can't stand hospitals and expecially emergency rooms. Not to mention the nearest hospital is an hour away.

How many here know how to properly suture a cut like this? Where did you learn how to suture? I've now come to the conclusion that I need to purchase a kit for the next time something like this occurred. Any help with where / what / instructions / classes / etc... Would help tremendously.

Thanks

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would love to learn more about sutures also. The only advice I was given was to practice on meat in the kitchen, like chickens.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My DH is a nurse - I guess he could suture if needed.

What I bought for emergencies is a staple kit from a livestock supply (Jeffers, I think). I think it would be much easier than actually suturing....at least I hope it is.

Here's another idea. A couple years ago I had a goat that got a huge cut on his side. A big ol' upside down "L" shaped cut that was probably 5 inches long on each section of the cut. Skin flap was hanging down and it was NASTY looking. Wrapped him up and took him to the vet - spent right about $100 dollars on him. Vet sutured him and he healed up fine.

About two weeks later I had ANOTHER baby goat come up with the same kind of cut...Not wanting to have to lay out that much money again... I super-glued that cut together leaving an area on the bottom open about an inch for drainage. Goat yelled a bit as I suspect it burned - but she healed up perfectly.

They do make several types of medical grade "super-glue" that is approved for human use: (Derma+flex® QS™, SurgiSeal, FloraSeal and Dermabond) I suppose I should price them and if affordable get some. If too expensive I'll stick to Super Glue.

Here's an article that kinda explains the do's and don'ts of using superglue on wounds.

https://morethanjustsurviving.com/super-glue-for-cuts/

p.s. I'm not a trained medical professional... :)

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Can't stitch it now, the wound margins have to be fresh.

I've sutured once. DH is a veterinarian so we always have all that stuff in his vet truck and he picked out the supplies so I couldn't tell you what I used! He taught me how.... as I was doing it. Funny story now, but not a happy experience! I remember the needle and suture were the pre-threaded type - the needle is crimped onto the end of the suture. That was nice, less drag going through the skin, so less nerve-wracking for a newbie.

He cut his chin a couple months ago. He had me glue that one closed with regular superglue. :hu

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I was thinking superglue as well. But then I guess it depends on how deep the cut is?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't looked into it, but maybe the book "When There Is No Doctor" might have some good info?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm no longer medical, but I do know how to suture. But I haven't needed it in many years. Soooo, I'm certainly not qualified to give medical advice.

I spent 6 years as a Navy Corpsman (medical) married to another (then) Navy Corpsman. I spent 5 years working in Navy hospitals after school (once upon a time). Learned stitches (IV's, drawing blood, giving shots, and a whole lot more) in Corps school.

Oranges are a good thing to practice on. They are curved, which is similar to many body surfaces, and the rind is similar to what it's like stitching a person or animal (a little tough going in, then suddenly easy to go too far.) You can get pre-threaded needles, but many are very similar to curved embroidery needles. In a true emergency, they would work if you sterilized the embroidery needle over a flame or with rubbing alcohol first. Personally, I have no fear of needles. For a three inch cut, especially on a body part that bends, I'd go get the stitches. Knees, fingers, elbows, etc are always being used and bend, making healing that much harder. Hands are even worse because of all the things they are exposed to in a days' time, which greatly increases the chance for infection. But yes, many survivalist people use super glue and duct tape.

Good places to start looking for classes for good basic emergency first aid would be a local Red Cross or a local volunteer fire department, although I doubt either would teach suturing. I don't think we learned suturing when we became EMT's. It's not generally something taught in most basic first aid classes or even most emergency medicine classes. They're taught to raise the affected area above the heart, apply pressure, apply bandages and transport to the hospital. Sometimes apply ice (but never directly on the skin) Usually no more than 15 minutes of ice, then 15 minutes off, then repeat... Since you have a sawmill, and are at higher risk for life threatening injuries, I'd highly recommend some classes.

A big concern with your finger would be what else you sliced through. You really should have it looked at. A three inch cut to the bone is scary because you may have cut tendons, nerves, and blood vessels. That can lead to a loss of feeling, mobility, blood.. and is a really high risk for infection and long term damage.

They ARE making really cool bandages now that work like steri-strips. They are kind of scissored, z shaped things that pull the skin together and hold it together. My son was showing it to me recently. I'll try to get a link. Really cool bandages I'd love to have here!

Latest posts