Suze is my girl!

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So I have been reading Suze Orman's Steps to financial Freedom. It is a guide to managing yourself and your money. It really shows you if you become aware you can make huge changes. The idea that all of us has some pre-disposed idea towards money and how this affects our decisions. Has a lot of practical advice. I have be tracking everything I spend and sometimes I'm like "wow, did I really spend $200 on under water basket weaving classes?"... Puts it in perspective.... It's not how much you make it really is how much you spend and save.

Here is a link to some of her online tools...

http://www.suzeorman.com/igsbase/igstemplate.cfm?SRC=SP&SRCN=layout_resourcecenter&GnavID=84

I really suggest anyone trying to cut cost look at this method of tracking budget. Stuff like car insurance pay off in one installment... I do saves me $30 bucks. Many people say they can't afford it but if you budget that stuff you will know in six months I need $X amount.

Well I hope this helps someone.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Flytyer24 said:
So I have been reading Suze Orman's Steps to financial Freedom. It is a guide to managing yourself and your money. It really shows you if you become aware you can make huge changes. The idea that all of us has some pre-disposed idea towards money and how this affects our decisions. Has a lot of practical advice. I have be tracking everything I spend and sometimes I'm like "wow, did I really spend $200 on under water basket weaving classes?"... Puts it in perspective.... It's not how much you make it really is how much you spend and save.
You hit the nail on the head: "It's not how much you make it really is how much you spend and save."

I think that's kind of the overall philosophy of SufficientSelf.

It's a philosophy I settled on in my 20s. It's partly why I took an interest in learning a lot of hand skills and practical stuff. Of course, I got married and we have a child... which does affect one's outlook on earning level. I spent a lot of years being self-employed, but eventually went for a 9-5 five-day-a-week job for seven years, to boost our income & savings. Now I'm back to home-based work. I've never wanted to be a high-roller... frugality is fine with me.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If I could get my hubby to understand this mentality, we'd be a lot better off! Though he has been getting better.