Syrup Evaporators

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Get some quality seeds , plant according to your zone , then harvest , squeeze the juice from the cane , Boil the juice until it turns to the lovely brown syrup.
Quite easy to grow, harvest and processing is the most time consuming.
Good luck on your venture

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We do have Big Leaf Maples here, I know a gal that goes out every year and taps her trees,
IMG_20211019_073922_HDR.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we don't do any of those things but there are people around here who do that and i'm so glad they do because i love maple syrup and maple sugar candy.

for those are prone to wandering the internet looking up things RO is a thing that is used in making maple syrup and is interesting to read about. :)

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Highland County in Va is known as "Little Switzerland", due to the elevation and has a niche "horticulture"; and has a huge number of sugar maple trees and they have a big "Maple"festival in March. There are traditional sap evaporation type methods at some of the maple camps, there is reverse osmosis at one, and some other methods. I do not do it myself since it is so available here even though it is not cheap to buy. I am supporting other locals. I did it once as a kid so know the basics if I had to.
There is one place that also does birch and some other saps. Some are pretty good.