Tankless Water Heaters

allterrainwarrior

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My wife and I recently bought a tankless water heater and it is everything that it was said to be. We live in a 1907 Greek Revival and our electric bill went from $218 a month to $160, during this summer. We expect it to be lower this fall. Has anyone else had any luck with a tankless.

If you haven't heard much about them, how they differ from your regular water heater is that it only heats the water when you are ready to use it; unlike your regular water heater that runs 24 hrs a day. This results in savings in your electric or gas bill up to 30% a month and the great benefit is you never run out of hot water, Its amazing!!

Any thoughts??

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I have no experience with them, however we are planning to install one in the coming year.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We had a tankless heater put in as part of our remodeling efforts. I LOVE that it takes up very little space, just fits into the wall between two studs. It sticks out of the wall on the outside a couple inches, but we bought the housing to put it in, so all you see is a smooth metal box (like an electrical box). I really, really like that I never run out of hot water. I can run the dishwasher, washing machine, and both showers all at the same time if I want and I won't run out of hot water. We can't compare bills, because we didn't live in this house when it had a regular water heater, but I know our bill is less than at our old condo.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So what's the average price of one of these?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
My BIL put one in his hog barn for use with the power sprayer and sanitization...he loves it!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been looking into these. I know my water heater is the worst offender of power usage.....I am still confused on what I want to do but getting closer research on the internet. I am so glad you typed the great benefits of one and will push me further into getting changed over! Thanks!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
allterrainwarrior said:
My wife and I recently bought a tankless water heater and it is everything that it was said to be. We live in a 1907 Greek Revival and our electric bill went from $218 a month to $160, during this summer. We expect it to be lower this fall. Has anyone else had any luck with a tankless.

If you haven't heard much about them, how they differ from your regular water heater is that it only heats the water when you are ready to use it; unlike your regular water heater that runs 24 hrs a day. This results in savings in your electric or gas bill up to 30% a month and the great benefit is you never run out of hot water, Its amazing!!

Any thoughts??
Was it difficult to convert? As in, could you just take out your old one and put in the new one? What all was involved in transferring?

I have heard of the savings, and we will be getting one, but on the priority list of things tht need to be done around here, it's about half-way down,.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Could you please tell me the manufacturer name of the tankless heater? I would love to look it up on the internet and read all about it....thanks!!!!

I have been doing all I can to cut that stupid elec. bill and while I have succeeded, I would love a more substantial monthly savings, and I think this tank might do it for me!

allterrainwarrior

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
miss_thenorth Said:

Was it difficult to convert? As in, could you just take out your old one and put in the new one? What all was involved in transferring?

I have heard of the savings, and we will be getting one, but on the priority list of things tht need to be done around here, it's about half-way down

The issue I had was finding someone to install it for me. There are not that many people that can install it and the ones that could wanted to charge somewhere are $500 to $1000 and i thought that was way extreme. So i called my realtor and he gave me a contact and this guy came out and pretty much drained my standing electrical tank heater and pulled it off the wall. My guy charged me $250

The only issue that came up was with ampage. You have to make sure you gett a unit that can be supported by the number of breakers that was used in your breaker for your current heater. If not all that needs to be done is to upgrade your switches which the installer will do and make sure there are enough breaker switches for the unit. I bought a unit that can heat two showers at the same time and it needed to have an extra breaker switch, But since my tank was installed with its own breaker cut off I didnt have to install a new breaker switch. And one more thing.... You have to make sure you find one that supports your flow rate of your house, For instance with our home. We have a huge Garden tub and we can't turn the throttle on High to fill her up we have turn it on a little more than a quarter of the way to fill the tub. The reason for that is the water that is being heated up as it goes through the tankless is going through small tubes and you cant just put it on full blast. The showers have never been a problem we turn those on full and never run our of hot water. but the nice thing about filling up the tub is the water stays hot constantly and never changes temp

allterrainwarrior

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:

Could you please tell me the manufacturer name of the tankless heater? I would love to look it up on the internet and read all about it....thanks!!!!

I have been doing all I can to cut that stupid elec. bill and while I have succeeded, I would love a more substantial monthly savings, and I think this tank might do it for me!

We bought a stiebel eltron 36. My home is approx 2500 sqf and that system works great. If I were you I would try to find someone near you that could do it. If you live in GA I can give you my contact and he can install it for you. You may have to add extra for travel but he is good and he knows what he is doing and inexpensive. Do research on Stiebel and cross check with many companies that sell the product. Do not buy refurbished if there is such a thing. I hope this helps it has been a great investment for our home. We love it