Tankshill in London e-mail

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Did anyone else get an e-mail from Tankshill/Gina Harden asking for money to help get her home - stolen passport - I certainly can't send anything, I can't even buy my niece a birthday card for her 16th birthday! I'm thinking the scammer got the email addresses from this forum. If you really are in trouble, Gina, I apologize, but this just smacks of a scammer.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That sounds like a scam. It has been going around for a while. My SIL had to change her email because of a similar one. We all knew she was happily at home in Florida when the email asking for money showed up in the family email chain.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I got the same email this morning, and deleted it. I was planning to let her know I believe she was hacked.

Especially given that she just got back home after a trip to Missouri!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
This is a really common (these days) scam, but as far as I know it is customarily done by compromising a person's email account (getting the address book addresses out of it), so I would doubt that they were obtained from this forum.

It does point to the value of having really robust antivirus/firewall software and KEEPING IT UPDATED, and restricting one's web browsing, though.

Pat

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What???????????????? I certainly had nothing to do with it and I am sorry that you got this e mail. That freaks me out.

First off I didn't leave the country. Second I wish I was 16.

I am sorry this happened. Any suggestions? Should I do something about it? I guess using those wi fi's at the KOA's are not such a good idea!!.

I wonder if any of my other friends got it or just you guys?

Hummmm

gina

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I got it too and deleted it before opening. I got one not too long ago from someone else who I know IRL....and I knew they were not traveling so I also deleted it. I hate that stuff!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
If I would have known G was going to London, I would have hooked her up with the inlaws so she could crash at their flat.;)

I didn't get one, and whoever gets one should delete it. Often these spam emails contains auto generators that steal your address book and then start auto emails. I use a free program called mail washer.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Its a program that down loads/auto deletes tons of spam mail without down loading into your inbox first. I have been using the program for years without any major problems.

My ISP shut me down years ago because my account was emailing 5,000 emails a day. I called nerd herd so they could help me and haven't had the same problem since.