Television opportunity for family seeking self-sufficiency

jabraw

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
** Please contact me or delete this post if it is deemed inappropriate for this forum or if you do not normally accommodate requests of this nature - I looked through your terms of use and also attempted to find a contact email to ask permission **

There is a burning desire which appeals to the national psyche of many Americans, to step out of the rat-race and lead a self-sustainable lifestyle. Pioneering spirits and sturdy self-reliance are all deep-rooted aspects within the psyche of the American character. Often unfairly marginalized as doomsday nuts, many Americans desire for an off the grid life isn't fueled by fears of impending societal collapse, nor is it characterized by food and munitions hoarding. Instead many individuals and families simply yearn for a life of self-sufficiency and tranquility away from the rigors imposed on us by the boundaries of mainstream society.

Sick of working for the man? Done with society? Want to leave taxes, rules and your boss behind? Want to spend time with your family rather than your co-workers? Do you have the family that could show America how to start again? Do you have what it takes to leave the regular grind behind in search of a simpler, freer and more rewarding life? Then its time to get out of the rat race.

The makers of GOLD RUSH are looking for a family with big personalities who are ready for a big challenge. No gadgets, no junk food, no neighbours. Just land, space, fresh air and freedom. If you want to grab this chance to prove yourself then get in contact.

We are looking for families or couples, ideally with children between the ages of 10 and 17 to show that Americans still have what it takes to live from the land. Please send pictures or even video. Let us know why we should pick you and how great a show featuring you will be.

Please contact josh.bloom@raw.co.uk for more information.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Why is a UK website trolling for Americans? I'm not going to reort it but it smells FISHY to me.

jabraw

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Raw are a UK company with many successful commissions in the US - Gold Rush etc.

Feel free to check out the website for other productions

This is an entirely serious casting call and could be a big opportunity for the right family to experience a totally self-sufficient lifestyle.

As previously mentioned I am happy to take down the posting if you feel this isn't an appropriate place for it.

Hope that helps!

Josh

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It would be so cool if someone from here actually made it! WBF - where are you???? Pink? You could do this! Mississippi Farm Boy comes to mind too.

I'm too close to retirement to give up now... :( (even though I'd ROCK, lol)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
jabraw said:
Raw are a UK company with many successful commissions in the US - Gold Rush etc.

This is an entirely serious casting call and could be a big opportunity for the right family to experience a totally self-sufficient lifestyle.

As previously mentioned I am happy to take down the posting if you feel this isn't an appropriate place for it.

Hope that helps!

Josh
RAW are a UK company? Don't they speak English in the UK? a native speaker would never say raw are rather than raw is a UK company.

jabraw

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
~gd said:
jabraw said:

Hope that helps!

Josh
RAW are a UK company? Don't they speak English in the UK? a native speaker would never say raw are rather than raw is a UK company.
I certainly don't want to get into a grammar debate but I think as Raw itself is a singular company however as an organisation often referred to in the group form e.g. "we are looking for x families", both "is" and "are" are acceptable. I might be wrong though!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
jabraw said:
~gd said:
jabraw said:

Hope that helps!

Josh
I certainly don't want to get into a grammar debate but I think as Raw itself is a singular company however as an organisation often referred to in the group form e.g. "we are looking for x families", both "is" and "are" are acceptable. I might be wrong though!
Whatever I looked you up and Gold Rush is a TV series, but unless you are paying the people they aren't doing very well with their investments.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
jabraw said:
~gd said:
Yeah, I'm familiar with that grammatical construction from how we use Canadian English. A collectivity of individuals can be coupled with a plural verb form - even if a singular noun or name is used. For instance, you could say (referring to one of our Canadian music goups): "Rush are coming to the Big Whoop Auditorium on Saturday, June 8th". In our minds (may be the same in the UK?) the plural verb acknowledges that there are several or many individuals in the group. BTW, Canadian English is a hybrid of British and American usage and spellings.

jabraw

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
jabraw said:
~gd said:
Yeah, I'm familiar with that grammatical construction from how we use Canadian English. A collectivity of individuals can be coupled with a plural verb form - even if a singular noun or name is used. For instance, you could say (referring to one of our Canadian music goups): "Rush are coming to the Big Whoop Auditorium on Saturday, June 8th". In our minds (may be the same in the UK?) the plural verb acknowledges that there are several or many individuals in the group. BTW, Canadian English is a hybrid of British and American usage and spellings.
I couldn't have put it better myself!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think it would be cool. I don't know that I'm self-sufficient enough to show someone how to make a go of it, off grid, but I certainly do take care of much more of my own needs than everyone I know. Unfortunately I don't have any videos, as of yet to show, but I've been advised many times to start a web-site. I think there are a few, on the forum that could do it. The most I can do is give helpful pointers on raising poultry in a flood zone....or maybe doing a little of this and that in a flood zone. I think everyone has their little project that is their own and that they somehow excel at. Now there are a few on the forum that have taken steps to remain anonymous because they don't want the government or their neighbors to know everything they are up to. I can respect that. Some of us are running our side-line farms at a slight profit and it might actually be one day, used against us. A video of us.......well, you see where I'm going. But basically I think a video, such as what you proposing, would be a good educational tool. If it would be me, I sure wouldn't want to be portraited as a nutcase though.

Latest posts