Tell Me Why This is a BAD Idea

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Because in my head it is a great idea! And that's usually the first sign of trouble....

The concept is to run a few pigs through an area to till it all up for about a week. The area is 16' by 32' comprised of 6 hog panels in a rectangle. After a week they move to the next area and in come the chickens for a week. Once they move on, a garden is planted - presumably enough food to eat fresh and canned in 2 weeks (assuming a 6 month garden season). Chickens and pigs are both supplementarily fed, but weeds/veggies/roots/bugs are intended to be a part of the diet.

So 26 areas, 16' by 32' each, go pigs for a week, chickens for a week, garden until it's done. By my calculation this gives about a third acre garden area.

It sounds good - but again, why would this not work as imagined?

Thanks for playing devils advocate.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Might be to much fresh manure and you have to wait to plant, but other than that, it sounds good. I've been moving a 10x10 dog kennel around the garden and letting the chickens destroy all the weeds for me and add fertilizer.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've seen lots of articles on rotational pastures. I dont know much about pigs though. Sounds kinda dangerousmoving them so much.

I saw a documentary once where it was cows and chickens and greens.

It worked amazing.

Good luck.

G

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a tendency to study things to death. Then I also have a tendency to jump in the deep end and learn how to swim. Both seem to work for me. :lol: I see nothing wrong with your plans. The only thing might be planting in fresh manure and it not having time to compost and icky bacteria to dissipate. Free fertilizer, weeds gone, rooted up, how can you go wrong? What better way to find out than to get started? Be sure to come back and post pictures!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'd send your chickens in first...there won't be much left to eat after the hogs get through plowing up the soil and eating all the grubs they find. That way, both groups will have the most benefit of the greens they will consume on that space. There won't be a stitch of green left on that spot when the hogs get done.

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
baymule said:
The only thing might be planting in fresh manure and it not having time to compost and icky bacteria to dissipate.
This was one of my original concerns, actually. Is there a guideline on how to wait to plant after applying fresh manure? FWIW I would also plan to add cow and / or donkey manures somewhere in the chain too...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe after you move the critters off you plant a cover crop on the freshly manured ground....let that grow until it's time to turn it under or even use it for livestock feed and then plant your veggies? I know that messes with your scheduling, but perhaps just add more area and more time to your rotation? I like the basic premise of your idea. You work out the details and I'll be a copy-cat next year! :lol:

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
Maybe after you move the critters off you plant a cover crop on the freshly manured ground....let that grow until it's time to turn it under or even use it for livestock feed and then plant your veggies? I know that messes with your scheduling, but perhaps just add more area and more time to your rotation? I like the basic premise of your idea. You work out the details and I'll be a copy-cat next year! :lol:
Genius! I was out this morning looking at the area and thinking i would double it anyway - a full year, 52 paddocks to cover just over an acre. That way i can include things like kale and garlic through the winter.

Are there any cover crops that grow quickly and can double as pig feed once harvested?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
bubba1358 said:
frustratedearthmother said:
Genius! I was out this morning looking at the area and thinking i would double it anyway - a full year, 52 paddocks to cover just over an acre. That way i can include things like kale and garlic through the winter.

Are there any cover crops that grow quickly and can double as pig feed once harvested?
Diakon radish is a great cover crop that matures early and probably can be fed to pigs. I know that they feed them absolutely everything from the buffets in Vegas so radish might not hurt them. but you have to mix other stuff in the pasture with radish. the farmers round here have been using the radish as a hardpan(deadpan depending on who ya talk to) breaker. We picked a couple and they are just big juicy diakon radishes taste wise. not as hot as some i've had before but still quite tasty.
and I agree about the manure having to age a bit. I planted in a spot that had, had fresh manure on it and when had spread it and I used the spot and the plants I put in just didn't grow or thrive and just died horribly.. poor things
I do parsnips over the winter too.. they just taste better once it gets cold and you pull them out of the ground..

Latest posts