Thanks Farmerchick for the new threads

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I just wanted to say thank you to Farmerchick for contributing so much new ss info by starting new topics.
I love the way you start these threads with so much info right off the bat.
Very interesting. Thanks again.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea winter time means more time to fidget...LOL
summer I won't be starting many threads...like alot of us we will all be in the dirt!--where we like to be!!! HA HA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
honestly I must have have said, Is it Spring yet? a million times already and I ain't kidding!!!
I want to bypass winter..LOL

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I really like the goat info you posted. We had a goat at one point...did everything wrong...she was such a joy, we named her Daisy. She was a real pet...used to try and sneak in the house to get the dog to come out to play. Then winter came and she decided that she wanted to be in the same shed with the chickens if she couldn't be in the house with us...so i made her a pen. But one morning we woke up and she was dead...just like that...no idea why I always thought it was the chicken dust...anyway, she was a real good experience, but I never tried another because I wasn't up to killing another goat again:>)

Yup winter has just started and I am ready for spring too...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea you hit a big one with me on goats.
they die fast.
perfect at feeding time, dead 1 hour later....no visible signs of anything.....

when we bred for the meat market with over 100 goats at a time, we thought about having an autopsy done to see just why they "die like that"---but Tony decided the money wasn't worth spending---cause by that time we realized there wasn't great money in this meat market and were thinking of downgrading the herd. which we did...thank goodness..LOL

I have had a few do that. But most are culled before getting to old to keel over on me.........so very young croak fast, and older croak fast.....sometimes in between everything goes just right and no one kicks the bucket..LOL

but they sure do act like dogs sometimes. they do make a fun critter to have around.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yup she was a real dog...and she knew when she was in trouble too:>) She knew exactly what the rules were. My Dh would go back behind the house for a walk and there following him would be the dog, the cat, and the goat...they walked that trail every night:>) One day I might try another...I feel better about it after reading your goat info anyway:>)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the walk was your DH, dog, cat and goat.....LOL--that is funny. Yea a goat would enjoy that walk I am sure!

I love when my cat comes on walks with me. It is fun to have critters along.

When I bred my own goats they faired better than when I bought some replacements. I guess cause I controlled the mommas meds and then put the kids on a schedule.

but yea it doesn't take much to crap them out..LOL

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I loved the goat info too. In a galaxy far far away I had a few goats. It seemed like it was constantly something. I finally gave 2 away. But could not part with my dear Agnes DePesto. (Anyone remember the tv series Moonlighting with Bruce Willis) This goat looked just like Agnes Depesto. LOL
I want to get a couple of mini milk goats soon and needed the reminder of how much and how often things can go wrong.
So FC - be prepared for a lot of questions soon.
Thanks for the info.