The "Bee Problem" Is High Fructose Corn Syrup to blame?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Today Drake took me to a nice little bee class. We learned so much about basic "bee care".

One thing we learned is that the beekeeper fed his bees sugar water during the fall and in the spring before nectar was readily available. (He didn't feed during the winter months, but that is another subject.)

He said that the bigger beekeepers fed corn syrup to their bees b/c of cost etc.

Drake and I immediatly shot each other "the look" and after class in the car, we discussed their choice to feed bees HFCS. GMO HFCS.

Um hello!! So I came home and found this little article and decided to share with you guys.

What do you think?

http://eatdrinkbetter.com/2009/08/20/the-bee-problem-is-hfcs-to-blame/

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Surprise, Surprise!!

Noooo, Genetically Modified food is not harmfull (has sarcastic smile on face)

I bet they'll fight that statement to the N'th degree. They'll do everythig to disprove it, before they'll (our govm'nt and the big food manufacturers) will admit that it might be a problem. :he

Thanks for postng this BBH

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The minute I heard they had switched from sugar to HFCS I was suspicious. I don't have any conclusive evidence, but if I were a bee keeper, I would make sure my bees never went near that stuff.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So now honey is potentially dangerous to us??? :barnie

What would wild bees (or even kept bees 100+ years ago) do during the winter for food? Aren't they supposed to hibernate? :idunno

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
He said that the bigger beekeepers fed corn syrup to their bees b/c of cost etc.
Isn't that why everyone is consuming so much more sweet stuff made with HFCS? Cause it's cheaper than real sugar? Booo!!! :somad
Side note: I asked a new friend (who is a beek, Honey yay!) whether he fed his bees. He said as long as he doesn't take too much honey from the hives, they don't have to be fed. "A little honey for me, a lot for the bees."

A related link I found http://www.beeculture.com/storycms/index.cfm?cat=Story&recordID=686
"Not only does corn syrup contain two types of sugar that are mildly toxic to honey bees; stachyose and farrinose, but high levels of HMF have been shown to cause ulceration of the honey bee gut leading to dysentery issues and premature death."

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
The Big Man started keeping bees last year.. so we are now into the bee-fray. we have fed them a couple of times with sugar syrup.

one of the things we noticed is that its hard to find real cane sugar (which is supposed to be better for the bees).... if you check a lot of the sugar is beet sugar and not cane sugar. we never thought about it... hummm......

thanks for the article, and nope, we'll never feed them corn syrup! wowza...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Interesting ofg. I'll have to check out my sugar now!

I'm not sure if the honey they produce (that is collected in the summer) is laced with HFCS or not.

The point I was trying to make is that HFCS may be what is killing off all of our honey bees. :( Cost is a big issue. This bee keeper told us that he uses 200 lbs of sugar each year to supplement his bees...and he only has two hives!

There are many reasons why it is so important to get to know your local bee keepers. (Or become your own like we might start doing! :D )

I also learned that some of our commercial honey may come from China too. The USA does not import honey from China for many reasons. One reason being that when they medicate their bees for mites and or diseases (that bees normally get) the honey isn't removed while the bees are being medicated. You get the picture. :sick

Here is another kicker, China exports their honey to other countries and then it is shipped here (in a new package) masked as safe.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
OFG....do you have any health foodie type stores in town? They usually carry dried cane sugar.

I have recently run out, and due to a screaming tight budget I decided I will have to go back to my old white sugar for my coffee......Boo! the deliciousness of my morning cup of coffee is gone. :(

Great info BBH! I had no idea.