The Bread Thread!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Gonna make bread tomorrow.... :weee :weee :weee

We've got a lot of new folks on the board now days and I was wondering....do you all make your own bread? For pleasure or for frugality and health? What types?

I just use a simple recipe we've been using for years now but soon I want to get a starter of sourdough back up and going on the counter.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to make bread all the time!! I LOVE homemade bread. Then my husband said to me "I like store bought loaves better for sandwiches." I haven't made a loaf since. :(

I do make rolls and sticks tho still... maybe I should throw together a loaf today. :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I love homemade bread and would like to get into making it. I always have trouble with it rising. :/

I'd like to get a good sourdough starter, so please post recipes!!! :D

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I made all of our bread for the last few years. Then we went gluten free so now I just make cornbread! I just can't afford xanthun gum, almond flour or rice flour, etc.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have made all our bread for years. It has become a habit now. In the last year, I have started with rolls (hamburger, hot dog, and dinner) as well. The bread recipe that I make every week is mixed in the bread machine and baked in the oven. It is super easy. For those of you who don't have to worry about gluten- adding a few teaspoons to your bread will make it much easier to slice ( better for sandwiches).

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have to make bread and buns today too.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can you get gluten in the store?

I thought about just making everything with bread flour, but it's a bit more expensive than regular flour... and I do make other things that don't need bread flour (we make our own pizzas, cakes, etc) so that would mean that I would need 2 different types of flour.. :-/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just add a little wheat germ.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do use bread flour- I think that makes a bit of a difference. I would recommend trying it, and seeing if you think it makes a difference to you. Yes, I buy wheat gluten in the baking aisle. I have three big canisters on my counter- whole wheat flour, regular flour, and bread flour!

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I might be able to get off with just 2 containers... we don't use whole wheat a lot... hubby thinks that if it sits too long it goes bad... so we just don't buy it. :/