The Freeze-Drying Thread

Bunnithebrat13

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yes and no. Both processes involve removing moisture. Dehydrating uses heat, freeze drying uses extreme cold and a vacuum. Freeze drying removes more moisture, and hence the final product is more shelf stable.
Ah OK! Thank you! I was looking for a freeze dry machine but Amazon kept showing me dehydrators.

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes and no. Both processes involve removing moisture. Dehydrating uses heat, freeze drying uses extreme cold and a vacuum. Freeze drying removes more moisture, and hence the final product is more shelf stable.
Actually, freeze drying uses cold and heat plus vacuuming to remove moisture. Then the product needs to be packaged in a specific way to ensure no moisture returns, in order for it to be shelf stable. There are certain foods (just like dehydrating) that do not perform well, freeze dried. But, the proper freeze dried food can be stored for up to 30 years. You'd never get that kind of storage from a dehydrator.

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i'd be really afraid to try doing eggs that ways and i wonder what the texture and flavor is like on the fine scale of things since i seem to notice a lot of strange things that others don't seem to mind.
Raw eggs that have been freeze dried, then reconstituted, are just the same. They are excellent ~ scrambled, in an omelet or in recipes.
Cooked eggs, freeze dried - I couldn't say. However - there is a great You-Tube channel that does all kinds of testing that you might enjoy. It's called Live.Life.Simple
You might check him out. He is. A wealth of information