The Gun Thread

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think an adequate skill set and proficiency in firearm usage is critical to being self-reliant. You are able to hunt, and defend yourself and your property. I have several firearms that I use regularly for different tasks. I have an old single shot .22 caliber rifle that I used to dispatch rabbits, and kill small pest animals that I trap throughout the year. I keep a Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun being my bedroom door for self defense.

I recently completed the Carry Concealed Deadly Weapon class to receive a permit to conceal a gun. In Kentucky, you do not need a license to do so, but I wanted to be informed on the laws. So, I did the training. I, typically, carry a 9mm Taurus G2 pistol when I am out for the day. I carry around the farm, and when I am out in town.

I have several other firearms that I keep stashed for self-defense. I have a hunting rifle, and a semi automatic rifle as well. Plus a few other shot guns and long guns.

My next firearm to purchase is a Colt .45 caliber 1911 pistol. I am saving to purchase one right now. I LOVE this gun. I used one with laser sights at the range the other day and it was awesome.

So, what is your favorite firearm? What gun is on your wish list? What is your favorite for self-defense?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My first husband was an avid gun collector. I learned to shoot (pretty well, lol) back in those days. We do have firearms here and I think they are important for this lifestyle. We don't have fancy guns but we have guns that suit the purpose for which they were purchased. We have pig shooting guns, snake shooting guns and self-defense weapons that like to hide behind the closet door and others that like to go for car rides. You're right BB - learning how to safely use a firearm is a skill that is important to most homesteaders.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a couple, I conseal carry .38 special / .357 magnum 6 shot pistol. My favorite is an old wood stock 16 gauge breach load with rifled barrel for hunting. it's a very versatile gun and shoots slugs to bird shot. It's great for scattering coyotes. Plus I'm a pretty good shot with it.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yesterday, after church, it was nice and sunny outside. So, I took apart my Grandfather's .22 Long Rifle Marlin Semi-Automatic. I had only fired it a few times, and I had trouble with it. I found out why. It was well over do a clean up. Lots of residue built up. I had to scrape it out. It took me an hour and a half to get it clean. It's not perfect, but it's better.

Now, I am struggling to get the spring back in. The action fell out of it and you have to press it in a certain way for it to work. Still working that out...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Yesterday, after church, it was nice and sunny outside. So, I took apart my Grandfather's .22 Long Rifle Marlin Semi-Automatic. I had only fired it a few times, and I had trouble with it. I found out why. It was well over do a clean up. Lots of residue built up. I had to scrape it out. It took me an hour and a half to get it clean. It's not perfect, but it's better.

Now, I am struggling to get the spring back in. The action fell out of it and you have to press it in a certain way for it to work. Still working that out...
Ha! My son, wife, and I were discussing our small, pitiful arsenal yesterday. Lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Most all American made firearms are backed by a lifetime warranty. They all are a little different. What's the make and model?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Ha! My son, wife, and I were discussing our small, pitiful arsenal yesterday. Lol
I did the typical 20-something method to solve my problem.... I googled it!! Gun is now fixed!!!

I don't have a lot of guns, but I guess you could say I have several. I have a safe on lay away at TSC right now. I've got enough that I need to put some up.

I also have a Glock 42 I want to sell... if you want to add to your arsenal....

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Most all American made firearms are backed by a lifetime warranty. They all are a little different. What's the make and model?
Marlin 60. It's fixed now!! Just got it back together. I struggled with it, but used the internet lol

Latest posts