the hovel i want to call home

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
When we re did the bedrooms in our house we actually insulated each room all of the way around - interior AND exterior walls. We did it originally because my Geek son (who's room we did first) was always watching TV or gaming on the computer. Now all we have to do is shut the bedroom door and ... quiet. ;)

Our house also has a very open floor plan in the main living areas. We will eventually have a breakfast bar (still in the works) and glass doored peninsula cabinets (finished) that will separate the dining room from the kitchen area. It defines the space while remaining useful and still allowing air flow.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
lorihadams said:
I agree with opening the walls a bit if possible to give it a little more open feel. Maybe opening the walls between the living room/kitchen or even switching the location of the kitchen and what looks like a dining room
i'm a bit torn on opening up the wall between the kitchen and the front room. i do like cozy, well-defined spaces, but i also like light... i think my main hang-up is that my parent's house is really open floor plan and it is SO FREAKING NOISY. their bedroom is off the family room which is next to the kitchen which is next to the living room. so imagine the noise from 3 tvs (playing at the same time usually) and kitchen sounds (cooking or dishwashing). it makes my head hurt. i also don't like that you can't hide your cooking mess from your guests with an open floor plan.

but, like i said, i want more light in the kitchen area. so, this is what i'm thinking
http://st.houzz.com/simages/95805_0_3-8895-modern-living-room.jpg

what i like about these wall cutouts is that it will give the kitchen an airier feeling, bring in more light, give me places to display dishes and cookbooks, AND integrate the spaces more while maintaining their cozy intimacy that i like.

what do you think?
I love that! I think I would make the cutouts a bit bigger, but that's just me :D Love the hardwood floor, I am thinking about tearing up this stupid vinyl laminate crap and putting in bamboo or cork, maybe see how hard it would be to do it ourselves :D