The Pill ie Oral Contraceptive type advice

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ohhhh, and IUD! We just had a terminology malfunction.
I wanted one, but see my above rant about the patriarchal doctors :he

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I thought an IUD was only an option after you've had kids? Or am I totally misinformed? (Often happens)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I tried to get an IUD- but my old DR. wouldn't go along with it. Because I didn't have any children and it Might cause permanent sterility.
I was still eligible for a tubal ligation- according to the same Dr. Those rules didn't make much sense to me.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought it was too, but I heard from a number of people that have one and have not had children. None of them were in the South, though.
I asked my Nurse Practitioner that I see for GYN stuff, and she said she doesn't do them, but that there is no reason not to use them before children. It's a little more difficult to place, because you have to dilate the cervix, but the rule about not-before-children is based on the whims and personal opinions of (usually male) doctors.
Part of the problem, from what I've found, is that there is a slightly increased risk of PID, especially if you get an STI. So a lot of doctors won't give them to unmarried women.
I'll stop before I dissolve into a puddle of feminist rage. :rolleyes:

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I had a feeling it was just "their policy", cause it would have been a good choice for me. I ended up getting the tubes done later anyway.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Update time! You don't have to read if you don't want, I just figured I'd put it here for anyone else who might be considering the same thing. I went off completely. Last pill was the end of my last pack plus one on this new pack, last Tuesday night. So about 6 days ago now. So far this is what's up:

On my second period. Boo. But I knew this was a distinct possibility. I just hope it doesn't last too long.

Feeling like I need a lot of sleep, but being oddly motivated to do things. Got CHL certified on saturday and went out shooting, put in a 12x20 ft garden on sunday, in addition to going to an auction and getting 4 saddles, and doing minor surgery on my mom's horse.

Reacting very strongly to things. One small glass of wine and I'm tipsy and sleepy. 8 oz of coffee and my hands shake so much I can't hold a pencil steady.

So far no changes in acne, libido, weight, or appetite.

I have one total complaint about the pill. When you go on, NOTHING mentions that it will make your body stop producing its own androgens and estrogens. And I'm a friggin biology student! I study this stuff INTENSIVELY. And yet, it isn't mentioned ANYWHERE. Even supposed bias free sources, like physiology texts. And yet, as soon as I start looking up info about stopping the pill, it mentions everywhere that you'll have strong reactions since if you've been on it a while your body will have stopped making it's own sex hormones. I mean, WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE? Can you tell I'm frustrated? I always make fully informed medical choices, and yet, this info just wasn't out there. Majorly frustrating.

I guess I'll keep you posted as I go. I almost feel like this is a "detox" or something :rolleyes: Monitoring my symptoms.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Not much to offer here. Never used birth control. My daughter's father left before she was born in 1977 and I abstained until I got married in 2004.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Update time! You don't have to read if you don't want, I just figured I'd put it here for anyone else who might be considering the same thing. I went off completely. Last pill was the end of my last pack plus one on this new pack, last Tuesday night. So about 6 days ago now. So far this is what's up:

On my second period. Boo. But I knew this was a distinct possibility. I just hope it doesn't last too long.

Feeling like I need a lot of sleep, but being oddly motivated to do things. Got CHL certified on saturday and went out shooting, put in a 12x20 ft garden on sunday, in addition to going to an auction and getting 4 saddles, and doing minor surgery on my mom's horse.

Reacting very strongly to things. One small glass of wine and I'm tipsy and sleepy. 8 oz of coffee and my hands shake so much I can't hold a pencil steady.

So far no changes in acne, libido, weight, or appetite.

I have one total complaint about the pill. When you go on, NOTHING mentions that it will make your body stop producing its own androgens and estrogens. And I'm a friggin biology student! I study this stuff INTENSIVELY. And yet, it isn't mentioned ANYWHERE. Even supposed bias free sources, like physiology texts. And yet, as soon as I start looking up info about stopping the pill, it mentions everywhere that you'll have strong reactions since if you've been on it a while your body will have stopped making it's own sex hormones. I mean, WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE? Can you tell I'm frustrated? I always make fully informed medical choices, and yet, this info just wasn't out there. Majorly frustrating.

I guess I'll keep you posted as I go. I almost feel like this is a "detox" or something :rolleyes: Monitoring my symptoms.
To help in the rebalancing, I would recommend consumming Maca Root (as much as 1 tbls) everyday, as well as a drop of Lugol's Iodine.
Reproduction should not be messed with, the way it is being done today. It is glamorized, glossing over side effects without regard to the patient :(
Add to that, fake nutrition, and its no wonder there are so many fertility problems today :(
Oh, and it is rare for me to actually find a woman/girl who has any idea how her body cycles.
Most just have the idea that periods are disgusting, and should be suppressed somehow.

I personally firmly stand behind waiting until marriage, but I cannot force that on anyone.
It does however, make life so much simpler ;)